Talk

Advanced search

Maths query

(4 Posts)
DimeBar Fri 28-Feb-14 19:28:41

Regular, but NC'd

I'm at college. Today we were given a Maths assessment.

Prior to the assessment, we were given a pre-assessment; we worked through the answers ourselves/in pairs, the teacher gave help if needed. Then went through the answers, paying attention to the more difficult questions.

The questions on the pre-assessment were very similar to those on the actual assessment; in fact three of the question were identical. I feel very uncomfortable with this, but don't know this is usual practice or not. Any thoughts?

purplemurple1 Fri 28-Feb-14 20:23:55

Does the assessment count towards you final grade - if not it's pretty commong ime.

If i does but you teacher just took and eudcated guess at likely questions (i.e they don't set the assessment paper) again its pretty commong ime.

I have had courses at degree level where you could go to the library and find past exam papers and model answers and if you looked carefull you could work out 90% of what would be on that yrs paper. its not good at all but I always figureed the info was there for anyone prepared to take the time to look for it.

nickymanchester Fri 28-Feb-14 20:24:41

Leaving aside that three were absolutely identical for the moment, it is not unusual for coaching to be given prior to a test for an assessment that everybody is expected to, or is required to, pass.

Was it a ''You must pass this test before you can come here'' type situation?

If so, and if maths is not a core part of your subject, it sounds as though this was just a box ticking exercise before the course starts.

DimeBar Fri 28-Feb-14 20:44:40

Thanks for your responses.

It's just a mid-term assessment, the grade doesn't count towards the final grade. Though apparently if scores aren't high enough they will be looking at shifting people off the course. Maths is a core part of the course.

As far as I'm aware the teacher (co-ordinator) designed the assessment and pre-assessment. I have a friend in another class, they weren't given the pre-assessment prior to the actual assessment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now