Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Marlow, Windsor Area

(8 Posts)
clairEM21 Sat 22-Feb-14 08:53:41

Help! We are currently considering moving back to the south as my husband needs to spend much more of his time in London. We thought the Marlow, Windsor area looked very nice on a recent trip but need much more that a pretty town! I have 3 children, boy, girl, boy, currently in reception, year 3 and year 5, finding a school for them within a reasonable distance of home (wherever that may turn out to be) is my number one priority. At the moment they all attend a great independent school that would take them right through to 6th form. I'd ideally like to find something similar, I'm guessing finding a place for all 3 of them in a decent state school will be an impossible task, (as it was when we moved to a relatively quiet area in the north and is why they all ended up at an independent school) I'd be more than happy for them to attend a grammar school, but as I keep reading, 70% don't pass the 11+ so I wouldn't want that to be my only option. Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated, I feel like I have an impossible task ahead of me! Ideally I'd pick up my life and drop it on the outskirts of London! Good school, sports facilities, nice town, Ballet school, good park... I don't want much!

grovel Sat 22-Feb-14 09:32:09

Take a look at Lambrook (in Winkfield Row). 5 miles from Windsor and Maidenhead.

clairEM21 Mon 24-Feb-14 08:58:52

Thank you grovel. Looks like somewhere we should take a look. Where do children move onto from there? I know many go into the grammar system but what about those that don't! I'm not sure my eldest would cope well with academic pressure.

grovel Mon 24-Feb-14 10:33:01

In 2011 kids went on to:

Wellington12Lord Wandsworth College1
Eton4Rugby1
Windsor Boys'2St Mary's, Ascot1
St Edward's, Oxford2Stowe1
Bradfield2Bedales1
Shiplake2Millfield1
The Oratory1Downside1
Charterhouse1St George's, Weybridge1
Haileybury1Winchester1

A few pupils leave Lambrook at the end of Year6 and go on to various schools including: RGS Guildford, Reading Blue Coat, Leighton Park, Charters, St. George's, Ascot, Downe House, Hampton, Ranelagh and Luckley-Oakfield.

So... a wide spread.

grovel Mon 24-Feb-14 10:33:44

Sorry. That was a cut and paste.

CharlesRyder Mon 24-Feb-14 13:20:15

My DS is starting at Lambrook in September and, to be entirely honest, I did a lot of research and there wasn't anywhere else co-ed that I would consider (there are good single sex places). Maybe the Dolphin in Hurst if you want low-pressure. The only 3-18 place locally is LVS which isn't all that!

This is totally off beam but have you considered King's Canterbury? There is a fast train into London that is under and hour and the house prices would be less crazy than Windsor. Close to the beach, lovely town.

grovel Mon 24-Feb-14 14:19:38

Charles, hope your DS is happy at Lambrook. It served our DS well and is a better school now than then.

clairEM21 Tue 04-Mar-14 22:49:04

Thanks so much for this information. I'll take a look at the school when next in the area and am about to google kings Canterbury!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now