Talk

Advanced search

Wilshaw now says teachers should talk more...

(6 Posts)
ipadquietly Mon 17-Feb-14 11:51:10

... when in Ofsted guidance last year, he said teachers should talk less.

Is a state of total confusion a cynical ploy to make all teachers fail?

angry

tryingreallytrying Mon 17-Feb-14 12:11:09

It's because Gove would like all schools to mirror his (dull) private school. So Ofsted can't be allowed to fail schools which teach the way Gove would like - children sitting silently in rows, harsh discipline, teacher lecturing children in non-interactive lessons - so instead, Gove has forced Ofsted to pass those schools. Which can only happen if you fiddle the criteria.

tryingreallytrying Mon 17-Feb-14 12:19:03

The aim is to return all education to the 1950s and away from Gove's bogeyman of education supposedly infiltrated by "lefties". By which he means anything that might make education fun, or assume that children are anything other than empty vessels to be filled with knowledge by an omniscient teacher.

Obviously, how this fits in with teachers being de-professionalised idiots who need to be told exactly what to do by Gove, I doubt either he or I have any idea.

chibi Mon 17-Feb-14 12:27:01

i am glad that there is a more nuanced approach to identifying good teaching, but i wonder how long it will take for this to filter down to inspectors

i decided a while ago to teach the way i thought worked best for my students and damn the consequences, but i have been doing this long enough to have the confidence to do it

KingscoteStaff Tue 18-Feb-14 07:50:57

ipadquietly do you have a link for this so I can pass it on to my obsessively 80/20 childrentalk/teachertalk SMT?

ipadquietly Tue 18-Feb-14 15:41:45

Here you are:
schoolsimprovement.net/sir-michael-wilshaw-warns-inspectors-to-break-away-from-an-orthodoxy-of-report-writing/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now