Talk

Advanced search

13+ Prep school changing to take up to 16 & GCSE

(8 Posts)
didofido Tue 11-Feb-14 06:24:26

It's an excellent school, but is this a good idea? Has anyone any experience of this - seems to coming more common

Clavinova Tue 11-Feb-14 08:55:37

In theory this could work very well - several of the teachers at ds1's old prep school used to work in state senior schools and Common Entrance is an excellent grounding for GCSEs. However, I suspect that this type of set up would only really attract the less academic pupils; those with greater aspirations and ability would probably transfer out at 11/13 - unless of course the fees were extremely competitive.

LIZS Tue 11-Feb-14 09:00:28

Depends on where it currently sends pupils and if it has the capacity to cope with extra numbers. What would happen at 6th form to child who has potentially spent over 12 years at one place ?

cakeisalwaystheanswer Tue 11-Feb-14 12:44:48

I wouldn't be worried about the academic side, I am sure they will get excellent results.

What would concern me is that most DCs have outgrown prep school by Y8. The rules are mostly aimed at younger children and DCs tend to still be lifted and laid by parents. Most are screaming for some independence. Very few prep school that have the facilities or opportunities most senior schools have.

Senior school is also a chance to start afresh, often with surprising results. The prep school sports superstar can't get into the school team at seniors, but the bookish academic boys discover rowing and become sports stars in their own right etc.DS is Y9 and moved to senior school this year, it amazes me how many boys have re-written their labels since moving from prep.

DS's school has tutor groups and a mentoring system and a 14 year old boy is more likely to take advice from a 6th former than his parents. This has been a brilliant resource for DS and wouldn't be available if your DS is the first year group to go onwards.

didofido Tue 11-Feb-14 14:32:01

The school in question presently sends pupils to local and national 'name' schools - lots of scholarships too. They plan a new building for 13 to 16 year olds so that they 'move on' from prep. Somehow though I'm not convinced; Cakeisalways has perhaps summed it up.

trinity0097 Sat 15-Feb-14 13:08:31

The coed school I work at is doing this, our first year 9 start this Sept. We decided to do it as more and more parents don't want boarding for their children and unless you are highly academic there is little choice in the area for boys senior schools (we are in the RGS catchment). We are quite honest that it won't suit all children, but we have been really pleased with the uptake, especially with children joining us in Yr 7 from state primary schools. We still have children leave at 11 or 13 and still do CE,

CharlesRyder Sat 15-Feb-14 13:40:44

Do you mind me asking where you are trinity?

trinity0097 Sat 15-Feb-14 16:38:42

South of Guildford.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now