Talk

Advanced search

moving to sandbach

(10 Posts)
holliejf Tue 11-Feb-14 00:29:02

Hi it's a long way off but as I'm moving into the area could someone tell me the best high school? I have 2 boys and loved the look of sandbach school but the ofsted report wasn't good. Does anyone have a child there what do they think?

singaporeswing Tue 11-Feb-14 00:53:28

i'm from the area and Sandbach has always had a good reputation. A lot of people I know also travelled to Northwich/Hartford and went to St Nicholas'.

jo164 Tue 11-Feb-14 17:48:31

I would recommend Holmes Chapel comprehensive. It's one of the best co-ed schools in the area. Only just up the road from Sandbach. It would be necessary to live in catchment for a year 7 entry I would think, but if you need in year entry it doesn't matter where you live, so you may get lucky with places in the relevant year groups. If you have a choice of where you are going to live, Holmes Chapel is very nice, not as big as Sandbach but has a lovely little high street, with a decent range of small shops, and a new Sainsbury opening very soon.

holliejf Tue 11-Feb-14 18:15:43

Thanks for the replys. They are only 4 and 6 but need to plan as moving from warrington. Looked at holmes chapel but not enough going on for me just a little too quiet. Looking at wheelock and I love the primary schools in the area. I also liked the idea of single sex school. Spent the day there today and really liked it

somewhereoverthewaterfall Tue 11-Feb-14 19:21:54

Hi I have a child at the boys school and would highly recommend it. I found they have taken on board the issues in ofsted report and I can see how they have already changed things that needed changing. Primary places are harder to get,especially Wheelock, lots on shortages in the local paper, but you might fall lucky with ages of children.

I found it a great place to live with young children and now they are teenagers it is great place for them to get around by themselves. If you want any more info let me know!

holliejf Tue 11-Feb-14 20:04:43

Awww Thanks that put my mind at ease. Wheelock is very much top of my list similar aspect to where he is now. Hoping to get my eldest in then auto for my youngest in September. Looking at houses literally across the road so hope that will help too. Also reading on the internet the extension is hoping to be finished by sept 2014 with 100 extra places. Going to go and look at school too. Just need to sell my house but that should go fairly quick.

somewhereoverthewaterfall Tue 11-Feb-14 20:42:45

Glad to help!!

I forgot about the extension at Wheelock, that will def help the school places. Just a warning though, think they currently get at least 100 first place applications for the current 30 places, so might still be har dto get in.There is also talk of an extension at Offley, so heopefully the primary places will be eased across the town.

Good luck with the move

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 11-Feb-14 20:44:46

I've heard very good things about Holmes Chapel. Several parents I know have chosen it over Sandbach.

holliejf Tue 11-Feb-14 21:07:58

Thank you. There's a school like that hear that count how many doors away you live. Surely living across Road would get a place? ! But keep your fingers crossed for me!

sunnydaylucy Tue 18-Mar-14 12:34:25

Hi, a bit of a delayed reply but just spotted your post.
I have a daughter at Sandbach Girls but a close friend with a boy in Yr7 at the boys. It is a fantastic school, definitely working hard to be rid of the unfortunate (?) OFSTED report and I am sure will be back on track by the time your boys will be starting.
We moved back to Sandbach in September and despite living very near to the school gates I couldn't get my other 2 DC's into Offley. I chose a rural school rather then going to appeal. They love it and are doing well, some things are meant to be!

I think the Offley extension will go ahead, surely they have to find some school places on this side of the town for the children from the new housing development?

Have you found the school vacancies list on the Cheshire East website, a good starting point? Although we did get into a school that said it was full!

All the best for your move :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now