Advanced search

KGS Reserve List

(26 Posts)
Shooting4themoon Wed 05-Feb-14 15:41:34

Hi everyone,
Just got results back from KGS, not a definite no - which is something, but just how likely is it that DD will be offered a place?
Is it worth contacting KGS to ask her position on the list or will they not give out any information until the 5th March?
If we accept a place at a school that has offered her a place, then decline it if a space comes up at KGS, does anyone know the financial implications? Do we forfeit the deposit or a full terms fees?
If anyone has any experience of this procedure I would really appreciate your input.
It's all very distressing and is it too early to open the vino..? wine

Shooting4themoon Wed 05-Feb-14 16:50:05

Does anyone know if Kingston Grammar over offers and if so by how many? Also does everyone interviewed get a reserve place or is it a certain percentage/number?
I'm so not built for this amount of stress, I think I need to lie down...

trader21c Wed 05-Feb-14 17:10:05

I would ring up KGS and ask where she is on the waiting list ... they will be able to give you an idea - my friend's daughter who's there got in on a waiting list place. They will definitely over-offer - some will only have KGS as a safety-net incase they don't get other schools ...

Shooting4themoon Wed 05-Feb-14 17:27:28

Thank you trader21c, not sure what to do. My DD has had three firm offers from highly regarded girls schools but she really wants co-ed. Not sure we can gamble on the reserve list but can't afford to lose thousands of pounds to secure another place (if we end up not taking it). God I hate this process, surely there has to be a better way...

harrassedswlondonmum Wed 05-Feb-14 17:31:16

Yes they will definitely over offer but lots will turn down their offers. My dd was in this position for a different school, who were happy to tell us where she was on the list (6th or 8th, I can't recall!).

The difference with KGS is that the boys won't get their offers until half term (roughly) so i would have thought it is likely to be a while before any movement on the list is known and they may not be able or willing to tell you your waiting list place in those circumstances.

In our case, we didn't get an offer (that was a year when too many people said yes and an extra class was formed) before having to accept another school. We paid the deposit, and then in early June, out of the blue, we got an offer from the waiting list school. In our case we only forfeited the deposit. You need to read the terms and conditions, because you could be liable for a term's fees - this happened to a friend, with different schools involved.

Good luck!

harrassedswlondonmum Wed 05-Feb-14 17:36:41

I would also add that yes, it must be very galling to lose a deposit plus a terms fees, but in the scheme of a private school education it is relatively a drop in the ocean, and for me, paying fees is psychologically a lot easier knowing they are for our first choice school.

harrassedswlondonmum Wed 05-Feb-14 17:43:21

...and I should probably add that "our" first choice was also dd's, before anyone compares me to an op on a very lively thread about the best school on earth!

Shooting4themoon Wed 05-Feb-14 17:46:46

Thank you harrassedswlondonmum. I can take comfort in those words, maybe there is a glimmer of hope after all!
On a different note, did your DD ever feel different from her peer group because she was a wait list rather than a first choice student? I'm sure it doesn't matter but my DD has already had a text saying that she's "only an also ran" because she wasn't offered a place. Maybe being a student at a school that wants her, and is recognised as such by her peers, is a better start? I guess time will tell...

Shooting4themoon Wed 05-Feb-14 17:52:36

I agree about the lost deposit/ terms fees are a drop in the ocean etc. However it does seem a racket when every single one of these schools have a waiting list in operation and those places are filled within days!

Shooting4themoon Wed 05-Feb-14 17:54:35

Ooh must check out the best school on earth OP, could do with something to take my mind off things! wink

harrassedswlondonmum Wed 05-Feb-14 18:15:00

Make sure you have a few hours to spare, it's a very long thread over on secondary education!

To answer your question, I think we as parents wondered if we had done the right thing and whether, as last through the door, she was destined to be bottom of the class. We soon got over it though and she has held her own.

Shooting4themoon Wed 05-Feb-14 18:39:56

That's really good to hear harrassedswlondonmum. It's good to know that your DD is really happy and not feeling under too much pressure. I'm going to open a bottle and settle down with statemom, shootingatpigeons etc!

irisha Wed 05-Feb-14 19:03:54


It's such a ridiculous text to send! Children are cruel I supposed. I don't think you should worry about being a "waitlist" candidate - if they offered this, they think she can cope. Besides, you have no idea why she is not on the main list - she may have screwed up maths, but will be a total star in History/RS/Geography/Languages (none of which are tested). Or may be her English was weak and maths just OK rather than brilliant, but she'll be really good at biology or chemistry. Secondary school is so much more than just English and Maths measured on one day when the kid is 10.

If it's your first choice school, make sure you let them know and keep calling from time to time, etc and don't even think about the waitlist/mainlist. It's irrelevant in the context of next 7 years.

Good luck!

Shooting4themoon Wed 05-Feb-14 19:58:28

Thank you so much irisha, just spent the past hour talking to DD, explaining that even being on the wait list is a huge achievement. I will take your advice (and others) and call the school to let them know that it really is out first choice of schools. Just feel for my DD who was too upset to eat this evening... sad

ClaraMaugham Wed 05-Feb-14 20:52:09

Shooting4themoon I know someone who was offered a place at KGS from the waiting list and has not struggled at all. In fact she has gone on to be something of a star by the sound of it. As I understand it a waiting list place is still an offer, and it could be a tiny margin that decides which side of the waiting list line you're on. The key thing is to let them know you're really keen, and I'd be very surprised if you weren't offered a place.

Shootingatpigeons Wed 05-Feb-14 22:43:32

It varies from school to school and year to year how fast waiting lists move or whether they end up with more acceptances than they anticipate and even end up putting on an extra class. I would definitely ring and explain your position. At this stage they don't know that they are really first choice even if you said it at interview, and they definitely don't know you are holding other offers. It can't hurt. IME they will have lots of parents in similar positions ringing them, they are used to it.

Shootingatpigeons Wed 05-Feb-14 22:47:14

And I am quite no sure no DCs worth knowing will be in the slightest bit concerned whether she got in on a wait list place.

trader21c Thu 06-Feb-14 16:51:11

yes I also know someone who got in on a wait list place and has certainly held her own too smile

trader21c Thu 06-Feb-14 16:52:07

I also know of someone not v clever who got in so it really is -- sometimes -- a lottery and not a reflection on your DC

Needmoresleep Thu 06-Feb-14 17:31:45

Dd and her friends (yr 11) were recently chatting and it emerged that 2 of them had got into their school via wait list. She would never have known. One is top set everything. 11+ is pretty unscientific. They change a lot and application and attitude count. Don't worry. And follow Irisha's advice. It wont be a clearly ranked list. If a very late place comes up it could well go to the person most likely to take it.

tess73 Fri 07-Feb-14 11:15:56

Oh good luck it is really unbearable.
I hope those holding offers for KGS for who it is not their first choice let go quickly.
What is the timescale? 5th March for acceptances for boys & girls?
Are the LEH, SHS offers out yet?

castlesintheair Fri 07-Feb-14 15:37:08

Most people I know who had places at KGS, and other schools, that they intended to turn down held out until the deadline. Perfectly entitled to do this of course just agony for those waiting! On a positive note, of the 10 or so offers in DS's school year, only 2 (DS included) accepted KGS last year.

padres67 Fri 21-Feb-14 12:41:46

Hi, has anoyone managed to get any feedback from KGS as to where they are on the reserve list for Sept 14. I have tried but not been given any indication at all and now I think I am driving the admissions lady crazy. We have offers from SWPS, Radnor House and Surbiton, but don't really want to accept any until we at least have some indication as to where my daughter is on the list. Would love to hear if anyone else has made any progress. Thanks.

trader21c Sun 23-Feb-14 19:03:44

If you're sure you don't want SWPS or Surbiton why don't you at least let go of those so someone else (for whom they are first choice) can have them???

padres67 Sun 23-Feb-14 19:26:50

Yes we have let SWPS go already and I am e mailing Surbiton tonight. I will be calling KGS on Friday to see what they have to say about the list. Good luck to those on the wait list too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now