Advanced search

The Trinity Whitgift Dulwich 11+/10+ thread 2014 pt2

(1000 Posts)
LadyMuck Tue 21-Jan-14 22:25:04

Anyone still out there?!

JustAnotherUserName Tue 04-Mar-14 10:01:19

And so 1000 again. Part 3, anyone?

basildonbond Tue 04-Mar-14 10:00:17

which is closer to you (or rather how easy is the journey to each school), how important are the 'extras' and how easily can you afford it? If you can't afford it easily, what compromises to your lifestyle are you prepared to make?

Dibbleofficer Tue 04-Mar-14 09:46:49

First chasing call from Dulwich College this morning .....we would really like to have your son etc

Still ...Wilson's vs DC ...what to do.....decision time tonight

Any advice ladies

JustAnotherUserName Tue 04-Mar-14 09:04:08

If you have already accepted, why would they need to offer you a discount?
But scholarships are a mystery to me !

LucidNonsense Tue 04-Mar-14 08:01:20

We eventually accepted T and declined W and other more local schools. DS was strongly in favour of T, we had no concerns about T, but had some concerns about W and whether our DS would fit in with the W culture.

With a number of people declining scholarships at T, will they make further scholarship offers for boys that have already accepted a full fee place?

lottysmum Mon 03-Mar-14 23:05:31

My friends daughter went to Wallington GS until they moved abroad recently - she really loved the school...friends a teacher (taught at CLBS,Wilsons and Whitgift) ...daughter quiet and studious though .....My friends only negative comment about the schools she worked at in terms of being a teacher - was Wilson's where she thought the teachers were under far too much pressure and would not be surprised if the staff turnover increased...would appear to be VERY results orientated - I guess they need to maintain their position in the league tables...

SweetPenelope Mon 03-Mar-14 23:01:25

Does anyone know if we're going to be told if boys passed Sutton or not? DS got his first choice of Wilson's and we put Sutton second. I've looked at the FAQ on the Sutton website and it's not clear if they are going to tell us.

It would be nice to know if he passed even if it makes no difference now.

pooziepuzzle Mon 03-Mar-14 23:00:03

Thanks Ladymuck

ladymuck Mon 03-Mar-14 22:27:18

I think grammars write/email from Wednesday with wait list info.

pooziepuzzle Mon 03-Mar-14 22:21:58

Unfortunately no grammar place here. Does anyone know when you can find out about grammar waiting lists?

mummytummy3 Mon 03-Mar-14 22:04:13

Thanks Mrssteptoe and Somelikeithott! Dd got into Wallington. Again, Caterham(good scholarship) vs Wallington? Help?

Teddingtonmum1 Mon 03-Mar-14 21:54:36

Poozie / brown sugar whats the situation with you now ??? Any luck with state / grammar ?

Teddingtonmum1 Mon 03-Mar-14 21:45:42

Have reeds under offer but still have a substantial amount to pay ( for me anyway !!) but haven't had an email yet re state choices did put down gordons state boarding but certain it will be a no plus no bursary offer. In Richmond didn't even get an offer at the free school that doesn't even have a site yet so guessing even more people are chasing places even at an unknown at a brand new free school. lost my log In details tried emailing nada so still waiting for what I don't even know anymore Grrrrr

ladydepp Mon 03-Mar-14 21:24:21

For me and DH, just agonising over the indies has been really really difficult. I found the whole prep, exam, interview process quite straightforward and much less stressful than I was expecting. But the weeks since the results came out have been SO stressful, unexpectedly stressful.

I thought the answer would just come to us, but it didn't. I think realising that DS would be happy at any of the schools he was offered helped a lot and I think most of the parents on this thread will realise the same. In the end we just went for the school we could picture him at. A bit vague but it helped!

Mrssteptoe - glad that your DS has come to his senses wink

ladymuck Mon 03-Mar-14 20:09:28

Certainly this is the first year where I've seen so many boys with grammar offers and full fees at T or W. From a reasonably narrow viewpoint the scholarships offered there seem less generous than "normal".

It is a hard one to weigh up, and very personal to each family. They are all good schools.

MrsSteptoe Mon 03-Mar-14 20:04:04

Lots of good news here - very happy for you, AliceLost, as I know you've been anxious! Our life was made easier by the outcome of our state application - our sixth choice, St Thomas More Language College, which we'd be OK with if we had never considered independent, but which just isn't in the running given the circs. JuniorSteptoe - or StepLittlePiggy, as I may start calling him - has finally come out and confessed that his heart belongs to Dulwich College, so I can finally send emails in good conscience tomorrow and turn down Alleyn's and Trinity.

basildonbond Mon 03-Mar-14 19:45:16

well done to all the ds's with grammar school offers - we have turned down Graveney in favour of A - feel slightly sick but think dd will be happier there

academically she'll be fine wherever she goes so it was just a matter of where we thought would be the best fit for her

Myriam35690 Mon 03-Mar-14 19:30:10

Tough decision time here as well - I have been agonizing over this for the past 2 weeks - Wilson's vs. Whitgift with a generous scholarship. Having had yet another family discussion, I think we are now a bit closer to a decision but will sleep on it. DS is happy either way basking in the glow. If we weren't so proud of him achieving these amazing results, I'd be angry with him for putting us through this nightmare!!

WalkingThePlank Mon 03-Mar-14 19:23:30

Yes, very interesting to see how many scholarships are declined in favour of grammars but also how many successful grammar applicants did not receive offers and/or scholarships from the indies.

Absolutely not an easy choice. Are the extras worth £17K x 7?

MotherOfSuburbia Mon 03-Mar-14 19:10:02

Glad it's not just us!

AliceLostinWonderland Mon 03-Mar-14 19:01:54

I will be turning down a very good scholarship offer from T, feel very weird about turning down T.

AliceLostinWonderland Mon 03-Mar-14 18:59:20

We got SGS! Thrilled!

bananadrama Mon 03-Mar-14 18:36:09

My DS has been offered Wallington too! We will be turning down a bursary & scholarship at Trinity. T is an amazing school but we just can't afford to send two DSs there. All the best with all the decision making everyone!

MotherOfSuburbia Mon 03-Mar-14 18:26:03

So it's decision time. We have been offered Wallington which was DS's favourite grammar. So we need to choose between Whigift with all-rounder schol, T full fees or clfs which is our closest of the lot...
Can someone just make the decision for me please!? At this point I feel like we would be mad to give up the grammar place with several more children coming down the line. I think academically he will be fine there. I'm just having trouble giving up the 'extras' at the independents, particularly the music.
If anyone has any insights into Wallington that might help I would be very appreciative!

Dibbleofficer Mon 03-Mar-14 18:04:13

Familiar debate on here then DC or Wilson's .....pros and antis apart from 17k

This thread is not accepting new messages.