Talk

Advanced search

Best way to learn tables?

(21 Posts)
unpaidcleaner Sat 29-Jul-06 14:46:52

My 8 yo needs to learn his tables this summer, before going into Yr 4.When i was a kid, i learnt simply by rote, repeating them over & over. I want to help him but can anyone suggest ways of helping him learn them that are fun & will help him to concentrate? Very grateful for any advice!

LIZS Sat 29-Jul-06 14:52:56

There's a few games here . ds likes the grid and the tree ones. We've also got fridge magnets and booklets from Wilkinsons . It is hard to find much that goes beyond *10 though and tbh the rote method, possibly to music using something like the ELC tape, still seems the best.

singersgirl Sat 29-Jul-06 15:46:58

My mum (ex-teacher, though not sure that's relevant!) bribed DS1, also about to go into Y4, with 50p for each tabel learned by rote, and 50p extra for answering random questions on the table. He has now learned all of them except his 9s.

She wrote one table at a time out for him, up to *12, and then I asked him to say it every morning. He's really pleased he's done it now, because it's made his maths so much easier.

WriggleJiggle Sat 29-Jul-06 18:07:41

The Primary Games site is also good. Particularly good games are Baloon burst, Multiple wipeout, Sum sense.

\link{http://www.primarygames.co.uk}

Try and sticking the tables up on the fridge, bedroom door, toilet door etc.
Also the musical tables tapes are good to use.

WriggleJiggle Sat 29-Jul-06 18:10:21

My first ever link didn't work, wonder if this will ...

\link{http://www.primarygames.co.uk}\

WriggleJiggle Sat 29-Jul-06 18:11:10

Oh dear, don't know how to link. Sorry, you get the idea though

GeorginaA Sat 29-Jul-06 18:11:26

Primary Games

albosmum Sat 29-Jul-06 18:15:15

we bought a leap frog "twist & shout" multiplication thing which they don't make anymore but you may be able to find one on ebay - perfect for ds who is known for a lack of nterest in learning tables plus times table snap.

roisin Sat 29-Jul-06 18:16:00

Yes, eventually they have to learn them "by rote" so they can answer them instantaneously. When they "test them" at school the teacher always allows several seconds, in which time ds1 could "work out" the answers: so he didn't see the point in learning them off-by-heart.

Then one day the Head Teacher (who he worships) stopped him the dinner queue and asked him some times tables questions. He didn't know them 'instantly', so she took him off to her office to test him! He didn't come up to her standards at all, and that motivated him to finally put the necessary work in to learn them 'properly'.

He used a few websites, a CD of songs, and lots and lots of repetition.

singersgirl Sat 29-Jul-06 18:38:19

We had a times table tape and a poster, but honestly the only thing that really worked was DS1 just chanting them. I do random questions of 2 sorts - the obvious "What are 8 4s?" and the backwards "How many 7s in 56?" (only when we are in our 5 minute table-learning spurt, not all day, of course!)

wangle99 Sun 30-Jul-06 10:55:46

I have a CD that has songs with the tables in them. Its pretty fab actually!

I'll see if I can find the link for it...

singersgirl Sun 30-Jul-06 11:11:00

Turns out DS1 knows his 9s as well so we are all done, apart from frequent revision and repetition. Has really helped his confidence in maths, as arithmetic (doing sums quickly) has always been his weakest area.

Kaloo20 Mon 31-Jul-06 11:52:45

DS has just finished Y1 and between New Year and July has had to learn all his tables.

one week to be able to write out a table
second week muddled up test

There is no magic formula :-(

Write the x's table out
look at the table together
then learn by rote (we chant them in the car and before bed)
get them to test you (and of course you need help answering some of them - which gives them a sense of pride as they know the answer and help you)
write it out as a test (with financial/edible bribe for all correct answers)

no gimmicks needed just a pencil and paper

pilgrim777 Fri 02-Nov-12 09:44:03

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Feenie Fri 02-Nov-12 13:42:47

Reported, pilgrim777 - you can't advertise here.

SecretSquirrels Fri 02-Nov-12 15:38:05

I tried all the fun games and websites in the world but nothing worked better than the old fashioned repetition.
I think things are changing in primary schools now but when mine were there they were taught to count up in multiples. e.g instead of one six is six,two sixes are twelve, 3 sixes are 18 they were taught to count 6, 12,18....The result of this is a generation of kids who have to work their way up to 7 x 6 instead of remembering it instantly.
I didn't like the way they were taught at school so I insisted they learned tables by rote. Boring and tedious but learned for life.

IslaValargeone Fri 02-Nov-12 15:41:58

My dc did them by rote and then we randomly start firing out "what is 12 x 8" while she's having breakfast. Worked a treat!

Blu Fri 02-Nov-12 15:44:17

I agree - by rote, one table at a time.

We used this CD which was less twee and childish than many of the CDs - DS found some of the characters funny.

mrz Fri 02-Nov-12 15:52:17

Percy Parker
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/sing-your-times-tables-percy/id201640562

mrz Fri 02-Nov-12 15:53:38

workbook to go with Percy Parker

TalkinPeace2 Fri 02-Nov-12 18:58:57

sing song by rote while walking to the shops or anywhere
then obsessively on the morning school run for two terms
- and the lad we were giving a lift to did as well
it worked
DS bright but lazy got them
friend not bright but willing got them
sorted

six eights are ....

my whole primary school used to chorus it as we walked to the playing field!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now