Advanced search

Turning Down Eton

(10 Posts)
Indy5 Thu 19-Dec-13 23:13:47

To anyone who has done/is doing this (other than for reason of cost alone), then why, where did you choose, and did you regret your decision?

Just curious as the waiting list does move some as I heard around 40% on waiting list eventually get in which seems high, if correct. Wondered other than cost, it was mostly those who also applied to places like Westminster, St. Paul's, Winchester or day, and kept both options open for a while and then preferred the other choices.

scaevola Thu 19-Dec-13 23:22:45

I know two boys whose families did this. One because they emigrated (a move which hadn't been on the cards at pretest time) and one because the boy decided that he didn't want to board and he went instead to a (well regarded) day school.

Timestables Fri 20-Dec-13 08:33:01

Indy5 , we turned down Eton as my DS wasn't sure he wanted to board . I think that anyone that goes to Eton really wants to as it is a completely different way of life . We thought about the offer for a year - chose a fabulous house with a great HM - but in the end he just wasn't sure enough . He has an offer from one of the other London Schools you mention above - now he only has to get 70% in his CE ! Couldn't praise Eton highly enough - but my DS is happier now he has made his decision .

onebananatwobanana Fri 20-Dec-13 10:16:13

I know several families that have turned down Eton. Some choosing the day v boarding option and others because they felt the school was too big and couldn't get their heads round how their DS would fulfil his potential surrounded by 250 other super talented boys in the year group. No one has anything bad to say about the school. It is a personal, boy focused decision. No one regrets their decision as boys are thriving where they are.

motherstongue Fri 20-Dec-13 20:39:36

We are another who turned down Eton. Eton is an amazing school and I'm sure our DS would have done very well there but we just didn't feel a connect with it. We are not London based and I sometImes feel (from the many threads on mumsnet) that we don't get the whole London obsession with the schools and the competition to get in. On hindsight I suppose we were very naive and just went with our gut as we had nothing else to base it on and when the schools are at that level they are all good schools it is just about getting the right fit.

JenniferClarissa Fri 20-Dec-13 20:48:16

DS did the Eton test on the basis of advice from his prep school HM. He wasn't offered a place, but - had he have been - we may well have turned it down, as we hadn't decided at that time which was the right school for him. We put him in for the test on the basis that if he was offered we had a choice about accepting, and if he wasn't offered it wasn't a problem, as our minds were not made up.

I know of at least one boy who has turned down an Eton offer in favour of another boarding school.

smile2020 Sat 12-Dec-15 22:20:29

we are currently on the waitlist so it would be very helpful to continue this thread, and if you are still uncertain about your decision when do you decide by. and on what basis. ie music scholarship? bursar? academic? and if any one knows when the first term fees become payable as I assume that is a huge incentive for people to finally make up their minds.

Michaelahpurple Thu 17-Dec-15 22:52:02

Are you on the waitlist to start in sept 2016 ie year 8 now?

Places come free all the time. There are little surges eg end of year 7 summer term, and start of year 8 being obvious ones. I don't think any more money beyond the initial registration until around the same time as boys have to commit to which school will mark their CE papers, which I think is march year 8. One would assume there would be v few places after that, but a friend of mine's son was offered a place 3 days before sitting CE, so somehow people are still deciding then.

IndridCold Fri 18-Dec-15 09:25:44

We were on the waiting list in 2010 (for 2012 entry). For that year there was virtually no movement until March 2012. I think this was mainly because 28 February is the date you have to let the ISEB know which school will be marking the CE papers, and that's when parents really do have to make the final decision. Also, the music scholarships are done in January so that would affect the decision of some people. There was one case of a boy actually unpacking his stuff at Harrow on the first day of term when his parents got the call that he had got a place at Eton!

People holding places do have to pay an acceptance fee (usually about £1500) about a year to 18 months in advance, but this didn't seem to deter some people from hanging on to two or more school places.

Needmoresleep Fri 18-Dec-15 12:58:18

It certainly happens in London where wealthy parents, sometimes not sure about English boarding school traditions, will hang on to Eton and London day school places until the very last minute.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: