Talk

Advanced search

A level pass

(13 Posts)
sunnyshine Mon 01-Jul-13 11:39:56

Would you consider an E grade an A level pass (on a job application) let me know !!

Sunnymeg Mon 01-Jul-13 11:43:07

I would, but I took mine in the 1980's when we had A-F and ungraded.

sunnyshine Mon 01-Jul-13 12:13:06

Mine was 90's so I think so too.

BackforGood Mon 01-Jul-13 12:21:42

Yes, on a job application - it shows that as well as the 'A' and 'C' you got, you were also studying another subject at the time. Indeed, that you have considerable knowledge of that subject (which may, or may not be relevant to the job I suppose).
If it was one you did randomly, without anything else going on, then I might not bother though.

titchy Mon 01-Jul-13 16:33:28

An E is a pass grade at A Level. Always has been. Up to you whether you include it on a job application.

tungthai Mon 01-Jul-13 16:51:03

I include mine on my CV but I don't put the grades. I put that I have 3 A levels.

tungthai Mon 01-Jul-13 16:52:45

If you just put 2 A levels on your CV some employers may think that you failed the 3rd one as generally most people take 3 A levels.

Anthracite Tue 02-Jul-13 06:31:31

An E is definitely a pass. You have to get over 50% in the exams to achieve this.

BeckAndCall Tue 02-Jul-13 06:41:30

You don't have to get over 50% actually - it depends on the grade boundaries that year. It can be very low - even in the 30s.

Nevertheless it counts as a pass at an E - always has done. It would count for university entrance, which is perhaps the litmus test.

BeckAndCall Tue 02-Jul-13 07:21:00

In fact, been a bit anoraky here, I've just looked up the AQA grade boundaries for last years A levels and its not easy to spot because they list UMS scores BUT the vast majority - 95% ish - of E grades have a threshold of something in the 20s and 30s. Very few 40s even.

And some of them are in the teens! I saw 15 for an English lit paper and 17 for a geography paper....,.,

MojitoMagnet Tue 02-Jul-13 07:39:30

Yes - back when I was applying to Universities (don't know if they still do this) there was the "2 E offer" i.e. the Uni set the condition for entry that you just had to get 2 E-grades in your A-level - so definitely a pass.

Is this you applying for a job yourself, or recruiting? Job descriptions often say "must have 3 A-levels" as a shorthand for "must be reasonably intelligent and capabale of thinking about and solving problems" - it's a lazy definition in my view, but HR departments encourage definable metrics where there is a clear line. However, it can mean that the bright person who got A grades in Physics and Maths but failed chemistry doesn't meet the metric but someone who scraped C grades in 3 much less challenging subjects is fully qualified.

AnnaBBB Tue 02-Jul-13 16:11:43

If you have a degree and A levels are many years ago, not sure I would even bother putting A levels ...or if you want to, just put the A levels rather than the grades. I really don't recall last time I paid any attention to these if someone had a 2.1 degree and years of work experience since.

MirandaWest Tue 02-Jul-13 16:16:40

They used to be graded A-E, N (for near miss) and U when I was at school so I would see E as being a pass. Agree that unless asked specifically you probably wouldn't put the grade you got.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now