School appeal failed(55 Posts)
We had our rejection letter today and it has totally knocked me back. Our appeal seemed to go so well, the panel nodding and agreeing with our points and agreeing sympathetically. The school authority seemed to be on our side and said they would welcome our child into the school and after even commented on how well we came across and presented our case.
So what went wrong it doesn't make any sense.....? They was basically given a green light, so I thought.
I attended 4 different appeals and thought I knew the difference between the good and the bad.
Surely there is still something more I can do?
So sorry to hear this, have they given any reasons?
As far as I was aware there is no way to appeal an appeal, all decisions are final
This is making me worry now as I have an appeal to attend tomorrow for DS's junior school allocation...How long did it take them to write to you with their decision?
The letter sea the panel concluded that our case demonstrated no compelling reason why the school was uniquely suitable for our child above any other school nor was our case strong enough to outweigh the prejudice to the school of admiring another student.
Our whole case was purely based on why no other school could offer what this school could, I honestly thought that message was loud and clear in our appeal and that's why I thought the school authority kept agreeing and at the end seemed to commend us on a job well done
We received a letter on the 4th working day after attending
Secondary: all our local schools are oversubscribed and we live 7,687.92 metres away to even our nearest school
We always knew we would have to appeal, as our juniors school head teacher warned us that we are a victims of our geography and we live in no mans land. Even our local councillor said yes u live in a black hole and we'll struggle .... This was back in March
Is there any guidance online from the CC telling you if there is anything else you can do?
Do you know where on the waiting list your dc is? If they are high up it is entirely likely that they will get a place before the new academic year anyway, not ideal I know but something to cling onto maybe.
Sorry to hear this, been there
The only other option is to complain about the way the appeal was conducted but it sounds to me like it all went well. And there is no guarantee that it would make any difference anyway.
Unfortunately the only option open to you now is to wait until next year and appeal again. You can appeal once per academic year, but most people don't bother because their child has settled into another school by the time they can appeal again.
So sorry about this, what a nasty blow. So what next ?
We are 12 th on the waiting list also due to where we live
I have attended 4 appeals: 4th ranked school and then 2nd and then 3rd and then 1st choice ..... A best case was our 1st choice but we lost all accept our 4th choice.
I feel sick, divorced from her dad and I haven't got the bet for my only child
Hyland, I'm sorry. We were in very similar position this time last year. Unsuccessful in what I felt was an unfair appeal. I don't feel the panel stuck to what they should have done during the appeal, the lea person actually reprimanded the panel at one point due to unfair questions!
I complained, didn't get anywhere at all.
We had to admit defeat and send dd to the school she was allocated. It actually hasn't been as bad as I thought. Schools
quite a bit rough but dd has flourished and seems to be enjoying it. I don't think she's doing as well as what she would have done had she got into the school we wanted her to go to but there was oohing else we could do.
How far away is the school you've got? Can your dc get there? Will there be transport provided?
I don't know what to do next ... I don't want to give up the fight, but what can I do now
We will still have to pay for a bus pass which I believe is over a 1,000 a year, the school is the same distance as all of them over 7,000.00 metres, all four schools meant a bus ride of 30 mins or over. All schools to far to be considered near enough and no siblings to gain access, no provisions made by the county for the eldest child living in remote areas, so does that mean I have to accept my 4 th choice. That is seriously messed up, one I will tell my child that I got my 4 th choice, how is that acceptable
My child is 11 just a few days before September so the youngest in the year. I feel like they county has just deserted us...
You have to be positive about it for your dc. I know it's hard but the last thing your dc needs is to see you upset and slagging off the school which in all probability they will go to. So in front of them find some nice things to say about it, etc.
Why do you have to pay for the bus pass? Don't they have to provide free transport?
I haven't bad mouthed the 4th school, so that won't be a problem. But I can't hide out upset and disappointed I am. Children can sense it, I'm not exactly chirpy right now. A fake smile can't hide your eyes, I can't pull the wool over my child's eyes unfortunately.
I will have to pay for bus, the only way I wouldn't have had to pay is if I sent her to the out of county school they originally allocated, but this was an option for many different reasons such as the stabbing and the bus not leaving until two hours after school finishes for a child who would have only just turnt 11
And it was a public bus as supposed to a school bus just for school children
If there is any doubt in your mind as to whether the appeal was conducted properly you can refer the matter to the Local Government Ombudsman. However they will only intervene if you were disadvantaged by errors in the appeal process or the panel's decision is clearly at odds with the facts.
Regarding the bus, if the out of county school is further from home by the shortest safe walking route than the school you have accepted the LA must still pay for transport.
Wow, £1k for an annual bus pass seems steep. Per yr I'm paying £330 for DS (train) or £510 for Dd (bus).
The out of county school is to far to walk but they would provided a bus free of charge but we told that if we went to a different school we wouldn't get a free bus coz then its our own fault for choosing a school that is even further away but the out of County school was never an option due to bus back to where we live not departing until 17.17
Yep over 1k for the bus 30 mins ride to school and home again 5 days a week .... So considering I'm lumbered with the bus fare, it seems wrong that I should just accept the 4th choice school. The whole system seems to be set up so they we all think that they have the last say and we must accept it, but is this rely how it is? Or does the authority just hope that we all behave and follow everyone else with the conclusion nothing more I can do!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.