Talk

Advanced search

Changing schools.. would you?

(7 Posts)
MamaMaiasaura Wed 24-May-06 10:05:55

Ds is in yr1 - settled and doing well at the moment. The school he goes to is out of catchment (wasnt when he started). He is soon to go to yr2 then transfer to juniors. Thing is as we are out of catchment and there is a good junior school nearby he is likely to go to local junior school. My dilemma is whether to change infant school so that he establishes friendships in yr2 or leave him where he is as otherwise 2 school changes in 2 years.

IT is really difficult to know what to do for the best. Also there is the possibilty of moving him to same junior school as his friends, but places are not guaranteed, way out of area so no chance of him walking round to school friends house when older.

pecka Wed 24-May-06 10:11:54

I have just decided to do just that - same year group.

She starts the monday after half term. After much consideration I decided that if a move was inevitable at some point I would rather her move at a young age and make new friends now than at a later date.

Its a very hard decision, especially when they are happy at school.

MamaMaiasaura Wed 24-May-06 10:17:16

what year is she pecka? Thisis such a hard decision. Doesnt help that xp is against the idea of changing schools as he lives in the catchment. THing is for ds he needs to be able to have friends locally esp as he gets older.

MamaMaiasaura Wed 24-May-06 10:17:41

altho (sorry if snobby) some kids around here i would prefer he didnt play with.

pecka Wed 24-May-06 10:25:46

She is in Y1. She is completely happy, popular and doing well at school so it has been hard decision.

I have decided to get her straight in so its not looming over us all over the summer and then come september she will no longer be the new girl and can get on with work in the new term.

sunnydelight Wed 24-May-06 19:01:47

Just wanted to say I think moving for the last half term of the year is a good idea. I did it with DS2 last year (not for the same reasons but it was year 1). That last half term is fun in most schools (and DS2 had the benefit of a huge grassy area he didn't have before). Not a lot of work gets done I think, so they can relax and establish themselves in the class, then get on with things in September like everyone else.

MamaMaiasaura Fri 26-May-06 12:12:16

Sorry havent written on here. Have now booked visit to school for week after half term. Ds wanted to go see what juniors was like and then he saw the infants next door and is keen to go (also he knows some children in the year below). Not 100% decided/sure on what to do yet so will go and have a look around. IT is a case of not fixing what isnt broken although there are many many positives to moving him and he seems to want to as well. Also ds told me last night about some things that have happened at his school - a whole other thread.. think i wil go start that one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: