Talk

Advanced search

'fones'4school anyone?? Please tell me I am being over the top, but there seems to be something wrong with this

(9 Posts)
mykidsmum Wed 24-May-06 08:23:28

I've got to be quick because of school run etc but my kids came home yesterday with 'fones' for school packs. Basically the incentive is that the children take in old phones for recycling and in return receive points which can be turned into prizes, such as mobile phone top up vouchers, play station games, televisions, robots, Bodyshop vouchers and a whole load of other crap. This just seems wrong to me, no worries with recycling but for prizes?? The school can also get prizes if enough phones are collected and these included tv's etc but there is no explanation as to how the prizes are decided.
Anyway decided to check out their website fones4schools.co.uk and there are links to loan companies, credit cards etc which just seems wrong for a school based project.
I also think the spelling gives the wrong message and I can't find any mention of what happens to these mobile phones, so are we being exploited and should the school be a part of this or am I just plain bored

mykidsmum Wed 24-May-06 08:24:03

Btw this is primary school

zippitippitoes Wed 24-May-06 08:27:23

I think there should be incentives for recycling of the cash back etc variety, no problem with the spelling as text speak is used in the context of mobiles! I haven't any idea whether this is a good project or not otherwise.

Freckle Wed 24-May-06 08:31:48

I think Dingle had a thread asking for old mobile phones which can raise money for charity. Seems a much more worthwhile cause than children getting yet more technological crap.

peachyClair Wed 24-May-06 09:19:41

Yes Dingle can use them, loads of the kids on the SN threads got o a place called BIBIC (WWW.BIBIC.org.uk) aka british institute for brain injured children, my Sam goes and they are excellent. They collect phones, and Dingle uses them to help with the costs of going.

Tortington Wed 24-May-06 09:19:49

the principle ofrecycling doesn't bother me as you said also in your OP

thebackdoor private company stuff bothers me.

Caligula Wed 24-May-06 09:29:07

Agree with Custy. The kids should be being encouraged to recycle for charity, not for profit.

Also dislike the spelling thing and don't think schools should be encouraging it. There's a naffness about it I don't like.

mykidsmum Wed 24-May-06 09:35:58

I thin k it is the whole commercial side of things i have a problem with and their website is just plain wierd

mykidsmum Wed 24-May-06 09:42:41

actually scrub all website comments i was looking in the wrong place

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: