Talk

Advanced search

2 page ad for follow on milk in NURSERY WORLD magazine.

(6 Posts)
eragon Tue 21-May-13 11:12:40

This is a mag for early years practitioners and this month it has a two page ad for follow on milk, aimed at staff who care for small children.

I dont think as a EY practitioner I should suggest a certain brand milk for parents in my setting.

The advert suggests a normal toddler meal plan that suggests that its impossible for a toddler to get all nutrients needed unless they have this toddler milk.

What are your opinons as a early years worker or a parent?

I am awaiting a repy via email from nursery world but so far havent heard anything.

adeucalione Tue 21-May-13 12:57:17

As a parent I would expect nursery staff to ignore it in the same way that I ignore the ads telling me that my wrinkles will disappear if I use their product.

creamteas Tue 21-May-13 18:56:05

I don't see what the problem is.

I wouldn't expect nursery staff to recommend anything on the basis of an ad, so couldn't care less what products are subsidizing the magazine.

BeerTricksPotter Tue 21-May-13 19:05:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

camptownraces Wed 22-May-13 16:58:45

I understood that such ads contravened a World Health Organisation directive.

creamteas Wed 22-May-13 19:36:43

The WHO directive is aimed at the marketing of baby milk in countries with no safe water supply and likely irregular supplies of safe formula.

Most of the evidence from the UK show that there are no problems with advertising follow-on milk (as people understand what it is etc) and thus at the last review the DoH found no reason to ban them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now