Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Governor's questionnaires- is it possible to complain to Ofsted if they are continuously ignored?

(8 Posts)
Blueskiesandbuttercups Sun 19-May-13 06:24:01

Ie done to impress Ofsted but not actually acted on?

senua Sun 19-May-13 09:22:22

I don't know about the legalities of school questionnaries - i.e. whether they are binding rather than informative, I suspect the latter - but you can always fill in the ParentView questionnaire.
"Parent View gives you the chance to tell us what you think about your child’s school ... We will use the information you provide when making decisions about which schools to inspect."
Question 9 asks about leadership and management and Q10 asks how they respond to concerns. Obviously a lone voice doesn't have much impact but if enough parents complete it then it may achieve something.

If you really want to complain, then there is a separate procedure.

Blueskiesandbuttercups Sun 19-May-13 09:36:17

Thanks,it is seems a tad dishonest to say we listen to parents and value their opinions as illustrated in our questionnaire when they ignore the same complaints year after year.

friendlymum67 Sun 19-May-13 11:43:30

Blueskies I have the same thoughts as you and in the same position as a Parent Governor. Have only done 2 years but have just resigned as I feel we are only there to 'make up the numbers'.

DeWe Mon 20-May-13 11:50:25

I think it depends on what the actual issue is.

Having got a dh who's a governor I know his group take the questionaires very seriously.
However:
Sometimes you get equal comments either way (eg. half saying too much homework, half saying not enough)
Sometimes you get someone with an agenda (ie. every question is answered with the comment that basically says Mrs. X is rubbish)
Sometimes you get someone who year after year writes the same thing, which has been investigated and found not to be correct. (eg. school dinners are always cold when served)
Sometimes they get a comment that they thoroughly investigate and look at behind the scenes. The end result may take some times to get through due to finances or other issue. (eg. computers out of date, need to get finances for this, and is done gradually rather than all at once)

I know that if there are concerns raised then the governors will send a personal letter back explaining what they are doing, or results of investigation. However, you can choose to do the questionaire anonymously, and if you do, then you can't get a reply. (like the person who one year all they wrote on the questionaire "What is the point of this survey?" Dh was most put out that they hadn't put any contact details as he'd have like to tell them exactly what the point was)

sittinginthesun Mon 20-May-13 15:37:40

Blueskies, are you a governor?

We always discuss the survey results (sort them by year and then look for issues which are trending). We consider any specific points which are raised - these are generally referred to the Head - and the main issues are then covered in the school newsletter.

The problem is that we get some issues with a complete split, eg too much homework v not enough homework. It is not possible to please everyone, but we do take the results very seriously.

Blueskiesandbuttercups Mon 20-May-13 16:06:35

No

Sitting your system sounds good.

Alas our govs are weak and do whatever the head wants to do or not(as the case may be).

A few of us are getting fed up with such a pointless exercise.It seems very dishonest.

sittinginthesun Mon 20-May-13 16:58:42

Can you offer to join the governing body? Fight from within!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now