Talk

Advanced search

Independent Schools in Luton Beds

(4 Posts)
Sammycat001 Sat 18-May-13 16:09:04

Hello everyone.

We are in the process of moving and are looking at the areas of Letchworth Garden City (SG6) or areas in Luton Beds.

Would like to find out if their are any good Independent Schools in these areas. Son will be starting Year 5 this September. Many Thanks.

OddBoots Sat 18-May-13 16:15:17

From memory the only private primary in town has now been taken over as a state academy, there is a private Pentecostal Christian school that takes up to Y9 but no private secondary unless you travel to other towns. It's about as comprehensive as it gets around here (and I see that as a positive, for what it's worth)

bella65 Mon 20-May-13 11:36:44

As far as I know there are none in Luton.

Luton a LGC are very different places!

If you are moving to LGC, then most people send their kids to either Kingshott, then many transfer to Bedford schools or Haileybury, or St Chris Letchworth. Your other option is Sherrardswood- Welwyn GC.

Do you intend to go right through senior school in the independent system? Letchworth does have some very good primary schools - state-such as Lordship Farm, or St Andrews and William Ransom in Hitchin- both of which have just as good results as the independents for primary age children.

Sammycat001 Thu 23-May-13 23:23:33

Thanks for your responses. Bella65, yes planning to go through the senior route in the independent system as well.

My boy has been in the independent sector since nursery. We moved house and I did not have time to check out prep schools as it was a very quick move and thought well, he has a tutor, he'll be okay. After going through some ofsted reports and league tables, I choose the school at the top of the league table in that area (how they got there I do NOT know). Never again.....

I realise not all state schools are the same and did not consider it again, but will research the ones you have mentioned.

Many thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now