Talk

Advanced search

Reading/spelling app for a 6yo

(8 Posts)
LubyLu2000 Thu 16-May-13 08:24:33

We don't live in the UK so DS gets all his English from me. I'm really keen for him to learn to read and write English to mother tongue level but struggling with teaching him myself - partly time (he has a very long school day and plays football) and partly because he's just resistant to me teaching him (which is also due to the long school day). He's a bright boy so can cope with learning himself so I thought about downloading a couple of apps as getting to use the ipad may encourage him. So what reading/spelling apps would you recommend for a 6yo?

LubyLu2000 Thu 16-May-13 08:27:36

Sorry, should say that he does know how to read a bit already, I'm not sure what level he's at but possibly around average 5/6 year old level. He can cope with anything phonetic but we need to move onto the more complicated English spellings. Thanks smile

LubyLu2000 Thu 16-May-13 13:58:17

Bumpsmile

Elibean Thu 16-May-13 14:35:36

I haven't used apps with a 6 year old for anything other than maths, myself - but would recommend Squeebles, both for spelling ( you put in your own 'tests' - and the child 'earns' Squeeberangs, with which they can play) and for tables/adding/division.

LubyLu2000 Thu 16-May-13 20:13:58

Thanks very much, I'll definitely check it out smile

SizzleSazz Thu 16-May-13 20:15:03

I would recommend Reading Eggs. google it and you can get a free trial

chickens Thu 16-May-13 21:21:12

We love Squeebles, my boys love playing it.

LubyLu2000 Fri 17-May-13 20:15:40

Thanks. I do like a free trial so will definitely have a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now