Talk

Advanced search

So, - is Teaching a Science or an Art? Straw Poll

(8 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Mon 13-May-13 16:48:26

Wondering what the consensus is, particularly from teachers.

bollockstoit Mon 13-May-13 16:53:06

Both wink

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 13-May-13 16:53:52

How so? grin

HidingUnderMyDuvet Mon 13-May-13 16:58:02

I agree with both.

It's a bit like... ummm.. driving maybe? Anybody can learn how to drive, (well almost anybody!) but some people will be "naturals", be more confident, have more flair. Some people might become stunt drivers, but some will never feel confident even driving to the local shops... (sorry I can't think of a better analogy!)

CarpeVinum Mon 13-May-13 16:58:34

Both.

You can be the most creative person ever, but without the training to know how to harness your natural talents you are unlikely to be as good as you could be.

You train a person till theory bleeds from their ears. But if they have no creative spark their lessons (no matter how box ticky on paper) will tend not to engage their students and will fail achieve the desired result.

NB I am a TEFLer and only teach in state schools or private mainstream schools on a short contract basis, so I'm prepared for others who work in that enviroment full time to have a different view due to greater experience in that realm.

tabulahrasa Mon 13-May-13 17:01:22

It's a craft...almost anyone can learn to do it up to a certain level of competence, but to be really good takes something innate.

bollockstoit Mon 13-May-13 17:01:30

Yes, exactly, the mechanics of teaching can probably be learnt by anyone. There are teachers that I will always remember from my distant school days who really inspired me and sparked my interest in a subject, and there are some who...didn't.

ReallyTired Wed 15-May-13 10:36:27

Is this thread a follow on from this thread.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/education/1754174-Randomised-Controlled-Trials-in-English-Schools

There is no doult that creativity and immagination is needed to be a good teacher. Teachers need good interpersonal and communication skills. An outstanding teacher doesn't necessarily have a 2.1 in a hard subject.

Prehaps the question is whether science and research methods can help teachers to improve. Teachers can improve with training and experience. There is no perfect teacher.

Can the application of research make average teachers better? Maybe science can be used to weed out the useless so that they do not waste time and money attempting teacher training courses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now