Talk

Advanced search

Views On Cranmore Prep in West Horsely v.s. others

(7 Posts)
multimum1 Sat 11-May-13 23:27:00

Hi All,

We are looking to send our son to Cranmore and was hoping to get a more recent view on the school. We did the open day and were very impressed but would really appreciate your opinions.

Also, any views on alternative schools in the Cobham area and why they would be better. Thank you!!!

Mendi Sun 12-May-13 07:20:50

Lots of threads on this on here - a search shld bring them up. Having looked at preps in the area recently I recall seeing comments on MN about Cranmore as being very large and having issues with bullying, but I have no personal experience.

Near Cobham you have Feltonfleet and Danes Hill. Have heard mixed but mainly positive reviews of Feltonfleet and that Danes Hill is massive and also has bullying problem.

There are also a couple of schools round Leatherhead if you're looking that side.

Mamamia80 Sun 12-May-13 20:19:29

What about esher? Shrewsbury is a very good school. I would avoid Cranmore, no pastoral care and competitive in not a good way

springrain Sun 12-May-13 21:33:07

What about St Matthews infant school in Downside/Cobham. I know several parents who have gone there, all have been very happy. Children go on to both state and private after. Has a very good reputation and excellent pastoral care.

homebythesea Wed 15-May-13 07:55:01

Downsend and CLFS also worth a look

chickens Thu 16-May-13 21:20:18

Hi, I want to stick up for Cranmore, my son started there in Sept 2012, I think it's great &, as far as I now, so do the parents. I totally disagree about them having no pastoral care, I know several families/children with varying issues & Cranmore have been really kind, supportive and helpful.
They look after the academics, the musicians and the sporty ones, the Catholic and all other faiths.
They have some SEN children, which I only discovered when I read the recent outstanding school inspectors report- they encourage everyone, whatever their talents may be. I can't fault it.

Mamamia80 Sun 19-May-13 14:07:02

Chickens. Schools are a very personal matter but I think you just started at cranmore and probably you are in the juniors? I was there for a long time and saw the school changing in a dramatic way. It gets tricky as your son grows, the first three years are ok. The latest inspection report is outstanding but only because the school put aside all the problems and made the boys behave well, even the after clubs had an additional teacher to avoid problems while inspectors were there which is not the case all the time. Also some people had bullying problems when the inspection was taking place and those parents were dealt with the issues the following week... I think the priorities are not right. But like I said its a personal choice and Im just giving my experience with 3 boys. People expect different things from private education these days, I certainly didn't agree with Cranmore the last few years I was there. And to be fair from our nursery group from my youngest son from 30 only 12 remain in the school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now