just in case you've not seen it
paulbernal.wordpress.com/2013/05/09/mr-gove/

smile

jellysmum77 Fri 10-May-13 18:10:17

Haha! grin

BoffinMum Fri 10-May-13 20:04:18

That was quite funny.

CabbageLooking Fri 10-May-13 20:10:06

Can we please ensure this goes viral? To put it into context, Gove recently made a speech in which he attacked Russell Tarr who is a highly respected History teacher who runs the excellent Active History website. On the website there is an innovative and interesting resource which helps students revise, using the Mr Men template. I think it's great. Gove thinks it's "infantilising history". He is determined to take all the joy and thoughtfulness out of the subject. Total utter bastard that he is.

Talkinpeace Fri 10-May-13 20:36:25

once gove "all schools should do the iGCSE" starts to slag off the iGCSE
you know its "belief" not "reason"

BoffinMum Fri 10-May-13 20:40:34

I am not sure it is even worth dignifying his speech with much of a response.

MarathonMama Sat 11-May-13 09:29:32

This man makes me so angry! I'm not a teacher or education expert of any kind but I know that children pick things up if they're taught in innovative, visual, silly etc ways. This man just wants to give out lists of facts to learn by rote because that's what worked for him.

I wish he'd stop patronising our teachers.

Incidentally I have 3 A grade A levels, a 1st class degree, masters degrees and professional qualifications in law and accountancy and for all of these I used silly visual aids to help me remember things. In fact, I can remember learning about the elements that make a Will legal by visualising a Rolls Royce with a pair of tits on the front of it. What would Gove think about that I wonder.

Silly man.

Rant over. Sorry, just needed to get that out.

Copthallresident Sat 11-May-13 14:27:39

I just really don't understand how in a democratic country this nasty little man has got himself in a position where he is wielding so much power over our Education system and our children. I am a Historian and I also have a DD about to embark on ASs who has already been shafted at GCSE compared with her sister so I am seeing it on two fronts. I do not know of another academic who supports or has any respect for him and my DDs peers certainly don't. I suppose the only thing that can be said for it is that he has politicised them.

BoffinMum Sat 11-May-13 16:29:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BoffinMum Sat 11-May-13 16:31:18

BoffinMum Sat 11-May-13 16:33:58

UniqueAndAmazing Sat 11-May-13 16:37:44

exactly - children need to be stimulated properly in order to learn.
and who cares if it's cartoony or gimicky?

I had an A-level Physics teacher who had done a few cartoons for her students on conductivity and all of the parts of the atoms were little characters - it was a lot more interesting and useful being able to see them as real things trying to work their way through a wire than trying to learn some imaginary concept.

cornypedicure Mon 13-May-13 16:53:15

oh that is BRILLIANT grin

Elibean Mon 13-May-13 19:12:56

Yes, how did this man get so much power over our children's education? Seriously, I find it frightening and beyond bizarre that someone can ignore those who should be consulted and make far reaching policies on the basis of his own self-centered opinion.

I try and comfort myself with the thought that he hasn't got too much longer to do it all in (maybe that's why he rushes through half thought out policies all the time??!?).

Startail Mon 13-May-13 19:18:42

more Mr man troubles for mr G grin

ouryve Mon 13-May-13 19:26:27

Gove is so dense, you couldn't make it up.

Mr Point - highly appropriate grin

BoffinMum Tue 14-May-13 09:28:06

He has also cited surveys by UKTV Gold and a hotel chain as evidence for his statements about why history teaching is so bad.

grin

I have invited him onto one of the postgraduate courses I lead, as I think he has work to do on the critical reasoning front. wink He did not respond ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now