Talk

Advanced search

Southampton schools - primary and secondary

(8 Posts)
bunchofposy Wed 08-May-13 18:24:39

Hello, can anyone from Soton help me? I newly(ish) live in Bassett, and our catchment primary is North Baddesley, 2 miles down the road and unwalkable. However I am within walking distance (just) of Hollybrook infant school. Does anyone's kids go there? The Bad is an oustanding school and looks lovely... but I also love the idea of us walking/scooting to school and going to a school nearer to our house. And I also need another plan in case we're ousted by the baby boom (we're right on the catchment boundary).

Also, where do people send their kids to secondary in Soton? I can't seem to find an obvious one in our area - am I missing something? North Bad is the feeder for Mountbatten in Romsey. It would be fine for us to go down this route but I'd love to find something more local. Everything I read suggests everyone just ships out to Mountbatten which sounds quite sad. I am baptised catholic but would prefer a good non faith school.

bunchofposy Wed 08-May-13 18:25:42

forgot to say, any reviews of Hollybrook school would be helpful... I don't yet know any other mums to ask in the area.

kernowal Wed 08-May-13 21:48:44

I wouldn't worry about secondary schools just yet as so much can change over time. Having said that, St Anne's Catholic school has got a good reputation for girls. A friend in Romsey didn't even bother applying to Mountbatten because it's so over subscribed, but they're just as happy with Romsey school (although that's even further away for you). The Romsey schools are all Hants CC rather than Soton CC, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference when they allocate places.

I'm outside the city boundary, but I believe the primaries in Freemantle and Redbridge both have a good reputation. My DD went to an out of catchment infant school and did the same for juniors. This is just becoming an issue, as we're slightly too far away from all of her school friends to just be able to casually pop around to play, but she doesn't know anyone closer to home. Watch this space when she moves to secondary school and we're even further away.

Talkinpeace Thu 09-May-13 22:20:43

Not quite sure where you are as you cannot be in Southampton and be Baddesley catchment : they are different LEAs
Presume you are actually Chilworth.
Agree its not walkable : lots of teh Chilworth kids go to Stroud BUT there will definitely be people sharing lifts if you do to NoBad

Hampshire secondaries are SIGNIFICANTLY better than Southampton.
If you are Baddesley catchment you are Mountbatten catchment and everybody in catchment has got in for years and years and years.
No sign of that changing even with Abbotswood coming on stream.

Hollybrook is a lovely little school : goes through phases because of slow turnover of houses. Very MC.
BUT it feeds to Cantell ....

Freemantle and Redbridge. Hmm. You've not driven past at kicking out time then.

bunchofposy Thu 09-May-13 22:53:03

Thanks v much for your responses. Yes I am chilworth but metres from the boundary so hollybrook is nearest by distance. am a bit... ok a lot put off by hollybrook junior being special measures ! but the infant school is ofsted good and I know a lot can change in a short time. Am guessing Cantell isnt a great choice! I have heard Bitterne park is good but guess that would be too far. I know Mountb is a great school. And I am sure you are prob right about lift sharing at northbad.

Out of interest what does MC mean?

Talkinpeace Fri 10-May-13 16:58:23

MC = Middle class!
Do not worry about the Special Measures at Hollybrook : its a transient thing linked to house prices in the area and the impact of the secondaries.
Bitterne : yup a foul drive!
Just looking, I think there is a school bus that goes from Chilworth to Baddesley - as your houses are over the distance limit : call the school to check

Eve Fri 10-May-13 17:04:20

Given that romsey and Mountbatten run school buses on routes into Southampton... Tells you all you need to know about southampton schools.

Talkinpeace Fri 10-May-13 17:05:34

Tee hee.
Hence why I'm so well informed about exactly where the boundary lies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now