Talk

Advanced search

7+ UCS, Highgate, Habs and Mill Hill Belmont

(6 Posts)
Whatdoyouchoose Tue 07-May-13 18:39:23

OK, so I am beginning the 7+ frenzy. My ds has only been at private school for almost a year and went to an awful state school before that (we did not have the money for private at Reception). I would absolutely LOVE it if he could get into UCS at 7+ 2014 and am doing my best to prepare him for the entrance exam. Some of his friends are going for Habs, Highgate and Mill Hill so I might try those also. His last school was very 'play based' so he was behind with his reading and finds it difficult to focus on academic work. All he wants to do is play!

This is my first child and I really want the best for him. I'd like him to enjoy school and be self motivated to learn. He's amazing at sports and has been since he was a baby. His family on both sides are sportsmen and women.

I'd like to ask if anybody out there has any experience of the UCS 7+ entrance exam? He'll be starting a Saturday School soon as I can get help from working tax credits which Tutors do not offer. I'd be really devastated if all of his friends to get into schools like UCS and left my son behind. I am willing to do everything that I can, so that I do not have regrets later. So any advice would be greatly appreciated? Thanks

musu Tue 07-May-13 22:30:55

This is a glimpse into a world I don't understand. You are planning on sending your ds to Saturday school at the age of 5/6?

Ime it is pretty rare to find a 5/6 year old who doesn't want to spend their time playing, that's what they do at that age. If he is at private school surely they can prepare him for 7+ tests and advise you of school options?

horsemadmom Tue 07-May-13 23:39:46

PM me. Where your DS is in school now. My DS is at UCS so might be able to help.

mrsshackleton Wed 08-May-13 11:37:17

I think you should calm down. It will not be the end of the world if your child doesn't get into UCS. Of course he loves playing, he's 5! If you push it too much now, he won't "really enjoy school and be motivated", he'll see school as the enemy. Agree his prep school should be preparing him anyway.

FWLL Wed 08-May-13 12:43:33

I posted a similar question under the Primary Education thread this morning about when to start preparing for 7+ Jan 2014. The answer I got was helpful - start now; slow and gradual is less stressful than last minute cramming. Not going to do Saturday school though. A little bit every day at home is going to be my approach.

Whatdoyouchoose Sun 12-May-13 13:51:45

Thanks for the feedback. My DS is 6 and will be 7 before the year is out.
His current school does not prepare for 7+ and are not keen on their students leaving. He's at a school in Hampstead though.

I'm not too worried about him not getting in, I'd just like to have the option to choose at the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now