Talk

Advanced search

Moving to UK

(7 Posts)
NBCR Sat 04-May-13 12:37:33

Hi,
I am moving to London in couple of days.I have few queries ...
1. Which is the best place to live near Staines as my husband's office will be in staines.
2.What are few good schools for my kids ages 9 and 3.6yrs.
3.Are the homes furnished.
4.What do you mean by furnished flats:Will the furniture(sofa,bed,utensils etc) included.
5.My budget is not more than 1000 pounds including utilities.
6.How is the local transport.

Thanks in advance.

lljkk Sat 04-May-13 13:02:31

Not usually furnished (legally you have too many rights if furnished).
I think you will struggle on that budget.

roisin Sat 04-May-13 13:15:20

Furnished flat will include basics: beds, sofa, wardrobe; but not utensils.

LIZS Sat 04-May-13 13:16:41

You don't nee to live in Staines (which isn't really in London btw) - think about further out, along A30/A4 (ie. Slough, Bracknell, Reading) or nearby (ie. Ashford, Egham) and look at public transport routes - train , buses both pretty reliable - if he doesn't want to drive each day. "Furnished" is usually pretty basic ie beds, wardrobes, white goods, sofa if that but not utensils, kitchen equipment or small electricals, bedding, towels and so on. Most won't be though. Utilities are expensive and don't forget council tax - your actual budget for a flat could be less than £750 which probably won't get you much around there. It is a big student area so lots of shared property rather than family ones. For example on Rightmove there is only 1 2 bed flat under £800pcm in Staines, unfurnished, dated and above a shop. Good luck with your search .

tiggytape Sat 04-May-13 13:42:15

Most properties are unfurnished. If they are furnished it will be the bigger items of furniture plus fridge, washing machine etc. No smaller items or utensils will be included.

£1000 per month might be O.K for rent alone on a 2 bedroom place in that area but not including utilities.

Council tax is around £1000 per year. On top of that you have to pay gas (probably but not always in flats), electricity and water plus extras like insurance, TV licence and phone bills. It could be another £150 - £250 per month in total for bills.

The transport depends on where you end up living. If you are near the main station, you can get to Waterloo. There are lots of bus services taking you to surrounding towns and areas too. But there are also parts of Staines that aren't well served by transport links and can seem a bit remote.

CloudsAway Sat 04-May-13 15:15:50

just for an alternative perspective, my furnished rental includes towels, bedding, dishes, utensils and basic kitchen equipment, and basic electrics (v. old TV, stereo, kettle, toaster, hoover) as well as furniture.

My council tax (with a 25% single person discount) is over £100 a month, and insurance/phone/TV licence/utilities come to about another £150 (for a small cottage).

Not London - about an hour away, though in a popular and pricey location.

RzBA Mon 13-May-13 19:18:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now