Talk

Advanced search

School bus service - am I overreacting? Should we have held off?

(13 Posts)
jura Thu 18-May-06 14:20:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

heavenis Thu 18-May-06 14:27:10

I think I would have contacted the school first,to see if they were aware of what was happening. Then yes I would write and complain,they have guid lines to keep to,and if they are not then they are putting every child at risk on the bus.

Furball Thu 18-May-06 14:36:39

My son 4 1/2 now catches a school bus (which is free in our case) I would be completely horrified if I found out that they didn't have seatbelts never mind sitting on the floor it's bloody dangerous let alone how gross a bus floor actually is. Is there anyway you could club together with a 5 others and hire a 6 seater taxi. Obviously I don't know how far it is to the school so don't know what the hike in price might be, but at least that way, they all get a seat with a seat belt and will be on time.

I wouldn't worry about enflamming any situation, something should be done and the school are probably completely unaware.

jura Thu 18-May-06 15:34:36

jura Thu 18-May-06 15:48:05

DominiConnor Thu 18-May-06 16:10:07

I'm not quite sure exactly what counts as over-reaction in this context.
Maybe beating the director of the bus company's head against the ground until he understood that this was dangerous, is borderline, but nothing short of that.

You need to go ballistic, and you need to do it now.
Take some pictures, your local newspaper will love you for it.

I don't work with dangerous things anymore, but like jura's husband I have a big thing about safety. I assume he will have had the samwe training showing real pictures of what happens if you don't follow safety protocol.

There's so many laws being broken here. Buses are licensed for a certain number of passengers. The insurance of the bus is also set at that level. Driving without insurance is illegal.

Twiglett Thu 18-May-06 16:31:30

No you haven't over-reacted

they are totally taking the mick

you have paid for a service .. the service involves your child being taken safely to school and arriving on time.

The bus company who is charging £170 a term per child is ripping you off .. and failing to hold up to their side of the bargain

Its like going into a shop and buying all the ingredients for a roast chicken dinner .. and only being allowed to take the potatoes home

don't stand for it

Twiglett Thu 18-May-06 16:33:12

anyhow . .lets say that there are 40 children on this bus .. that's £6,800 per term .. £20,400 per year

jura Thu 18-May-06 16:44:06

DominiConnor Sat 20-May-06 11:22:36

The bus company is of course at liberty to optimse their use of resources.
What it is doing with your kids isn't just dangerous it is a criminal offence.
Ever been to a road accident ?

jura Sun 21-May-06 18:04:36

notagrannyyet Tue 30-May-06 04:39:09

We had a similar problem once.Bus company tried to use one bus instead of two by sending a specially adapted disabled bus with very few seats and extra space for wheelchairs. Result was 2 bus loads of kids crammed into 1 bus,most of them standing.LEA (who pay for the buses as ours is a rural area) soon put a stop to it though.

sunnydelight Wed 31-May-06 18:24:40

The driver kept your daughter on the bus and spoke to her about this? I would be in the school SCREAMING at this point. Who has told him that it is her parents who have complained? Why does he feel it is appropriate to speak to a child about this? Sorry if I am over-reacting to this one but I can't believe it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: