Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know of any bullying hel;plines I can call about DS1 please? Thanks

(23 Posts)
PeachyClair Tue 16-May-06 09:49:50

As the title says, really. All the ones I can find on Google seem to be Scottish (we're in wales)

mythumbelinas Tue 16-May-06 09:57:05

i have a bullying leaflet in front of me from the school .. the helplines are for my borough tho ..
If the bullying is occuring on journeys to and from school the Police have advice and strategies for young people to use. A Streetwise Guide to Coping with Bullying www.met.police.uk/youth/bullying
hth

nannyme Tue 16-May-06 09:57:33

I don't know.

Have you tried looking in the front of your phone book or yellow pages?

puff Tue 16-May-06 10:00:07

www.bullying.co.uk - it gives lots of links to other helpful stuff

bummer Tue 16-May-06 10:02:04

PeachyClair I used puff's suggestion ages ago so nothing more I can add apart from hope it is all over/sorted very soon.

ks Tue 16-May-06 10:02:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ks Tue 16-May-06 10:03:39

Marina Tue 16-May-06 10:05:15

BBC's Bullying pages look good peachy...ds told me about these, they had an assembly on this topic last week

PeachyClair Tue 16-May-06 10:51:06

Thanks, called kidscape and they were excellent. They said we should move school, so we have to give this serious cionsideration.

ks Tue 16-May-06 10:57:44

Freckle Tue 16-May-06 11:00:30

Kidscape are excellent. If you are interested, they run Zap! courses which are for victims of bullying. DS1 went on one and made some lovely friends and this really helped him to see that he wasn't the problem. It was useful from my perspective too as they got all the parents together and we were able to share our experiences and feelings, etc. Michele Elliot, who runs it, is lovely and very down to earth.

PeachyClair Tue 16-May-06 11:10:39

It IS excruciating, he has other problems as well so particularly ahrd. The problem is, weknow he should move, but DS2 fits in really well ats chool and we don't see why he should suffer.

beety Tue 16-May-06 11:18:24

what about these people

Freckle Tue 16-May-06 11:25:18

How old is DS1? What year is he in? Is there some reason why the two boys can't go to different schools?

I presume the school isn't dealing with it adequately, in which case it might be useful to point them in the direction of Kidscape who have some very useful publications aimed at schools.

PeachyClair Tue 16-May-06 11:31:05

School were tackled by another Mum , she was told that if they punish kids the parents complain so they gave up. She was told they'd quite like her to do a leafletting campaign, but not on school premises.

The kidscape people reckon the same as the Aspergers people: DS1 doesn't fit, extremely popular school, off you go or we'll make life hard until you do. I didn't think so, but maybe I'm blind.

The reason for two schools not working is simple: they start at the same time, have no-one who could help ith drop off.

Freckle Tue 16-May-06 11:58:30

But the school has a duty to protect your son. They can't duck the issue by saying other parents complain. Have you written to the board of governors or the LEA? I would send a strongly worded letter to the Chairman of the board of govs with a copy to the LEA. The school would soon sit up and listen.

PeachyClair Tue 16-May-06 19:35:58

They say he is a liar. he is balck and blue again.

puff Tue 16-May-06 21:07:27

Who says he is lying? The staff? On what basis have they made that decision, given that he's coming home injured ?

thirtysomething Tue 16-May-06 21:17:08

Am hopeless at doing links but try Parentline helpline or their website www.parentline.co.uk. A friend swears by them! Their website seems to have bits on bullying and links. You could also contact the Advisory Centre for Education (ACE) which must also have a website - they publish loads of info. on how to tackle schools about bullying, steps to take in the right order, that sort of thing. Plus they have a helpline too.

peachyClair Wed 17-May-06 12:59:22

The teacher says. yes, I know- too. You see, we are having enough problems getting them to do the stuff required for Sam to be assessed. there have been some situations where Sam has mis-interpreted what has happened, due I suppose to the Aspergers that we can't yet prove but now he has. Our little savioour really is DS2 who despite being ayear younger, seems to have set himself up as Sam's warrior / advocate. Ds2 doesn't really lie, so when he says Sam was attacked, I believe it.

i'm wondering if the bullying is why they were so funny about Ed Psych going in?

puff Wed 17-May-06 18:15:18

sounds very difficult for you peachy - if you think an ed psych going in would help, then keep the pressure up. I hope you get things resolved.

peachyClair Thu 18-May-06 16:43:23

Just an update- DS1 was bullied today and his glasses smashed (whiich will be a bugger with the guy ropes over half term when we go camping) and the school tooka ction! The kid was put in lunchtime detention, and his Mm came to the door and offered to pay (they're free though). Hurrah!!

Freckle Thu 18-May-06 18:25:23

So sorry that your ds had to go through this, but jolly glad that the school actually acted on it this time. Well done to the Mum too. Hope she gave her child hell.

Just check re the free glasses. If on the NHS, you only get one pair per year. So, if your ds only got his within the last year, you would have to pay to get them replaced if you don't wait until the year is up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: