Talk

Advanced search

Are/Should Children be taught about Domestic Abuse at school?

(8 Posts)
WafflyVersatile Sat 13-Apr-13 23:48:33

I understand sex education has come on a bit since I was at school about 100 years ago but how much about healthy and unhealthy relationships is taught? I'm guessing there is something about not being pressured into sex before you're ready but I have no knowledge about what is actually taught nowadays.

What should be covered? Would it even help if kids were taught about DA? Either to recognise their parents' relationship as being abusive or once they go on to have their own relationships? If a child did approach a teacher about their parents' relationship what could/would be done?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Mrsrobertduvall Sun 14-Apr-13 08:27:01

My dd's secondary school have done work on domestic violence and also fgm.

sydlexic Sun 14-Apr-13 08:30:53

DS has had information on gaining consent, what is rape and DA.

This was in year 6. It was a day long course at an army barracks.

WafflyVersatile Sun 14-Apr-13 17:04:59

Thanks for replies.

That sounds a bit full-on, sydlexic!

TeenAndTween Mon 15-Apr-13 11:52:03

I think it should be (and is) covered during PSHE in secondary school. Also I guess possibly touched on at primary eg in NSPCC assemblies. My Teens school covers PSHE in tutor time and drama lessons, so they do role play etc.

However, I think this should also be up to the parents to discuss (though obviously disfunctional families where the children might be most at risk are perhaps least likely to discuss this).

If a child approached a teacher about domestic violence/abuse in a parents relationship, this would be viewed as a safeguarding issue for the child and so usual procedures would apply (report to teacher responsible for safeguarding, refer to SS if thought necessary, etc).

creamteas Mon 15-Apr-13 13:53:33

Yes, for two reasons.

First, many DC are living with DV and it is the best way of getting them (and the parent victim) the support they need.

Second, it is really important that society sends a strong message is sent that violence is not acceptable.

Obviously the details need to be tailored to the age, but it has to be there.

seeker Mon 15-Apr-13 13:58:47

They use this programme in my dd's school- it's fantastic.

WafflyVersatile Mon 15-Apr-13 21:54:48

Thanks. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now