Talk

Advanced search

Melbourne, Derbyshire

(18 Posts)
expatcat Sat 13-May-06 14:53:06

Does anyone have children at school in Melbourne or nearby or can give us an idea of what the area is like? We are thinking of moving...

marialuisa Mon 15-May-06 08:31:41

We live nearish,and I have a good friend there, I assume the schools are probably good as it's a nice area, but friend doesn't use them. There is also a slightly alternative village school in nearby Ticknall called Dame Alice Harpur's which is supposed to be lovely.

Clary Mon 15-May-06 08:57:42

Melbourne is very posh for Derby IYSWIM. Houses there go for a lot more than here in Derby, so I'm sure the schools are filled with nice middle class supportive parents.
Why Melbourne in partic? Get more for your money in Derby itself!

marialuisa Mon 15-May-06 12:14:53

Pretty sure that Chellaston School is the catchment secondary (which is a very sought after school locally).

expatcat Mon 15-May-06 17:35:53

Thanks very much marialuisa & clary. Looking at Melbourne because DH has a new job in Burton & I will be working in Notts, so it has good links to both and seems quite rural. Were also thinking about Chellaston itself as I think it is also meant to be quite nice?

marialuisa Tue 16-May-06 07:45:17

Yes, Chellaston is quite nice but mostly new estates, don't know if that is your thing? Don't know how old your kids are but there is also an issue with large parts of Chellaston being in the catchment for a not great secondary rather than Chellaston School.

DH and I commute in different directions from Derby (him to Beeston, me in L'boro direction) and the traffic really isn't that bad.

Clary Tue 16-May-06 09:32:33

yeah chellaston school catchment a very big issue atm so make sure you check that out. Lots of the new houses being built are not in the catchment area etc etc.
Melbourne is very pretty with lots of old houses which go for loads considering how big some of them are, as opposed to Chellaston which is new estates, more space for your bucks but not so much character.
Depends what you want really.

Clary Tue 16-May-06 10:17:55

Latest row over Chellaston School catchment area here ooh watch out for those new houses then!

expatcat Tue 16-May-06 14:40:30

Probably more concerned with primary, although there's no harm looking ahead! Must admit the new building in Chellaston has me worried as it sets a precedent for further expansion....at least with Melbourne I imagine there is less chance of loads of houses going up in the near future. However I believe Melbourne is under flight paths?

marialuisa Tue 16-May-06 14:57:30

yes, but really not that bad.

expatcat Tue 16-May-06 16:01:00

thanks again both of you - just about to read that article clary!
sounds like Melbourne might be the way to go, we'll have to get our acts together and start looking at houses.....

SueW Tue 16-May-06 16:19:08

Not much around East Mids airport that isn't under flight path at one time or another - the flight paths do change. Plus it's a 24 hour airport with cargo flights all night. And it's expanding.

Flight path info

expatcat Tue 16-May-06 16:31:48

Thanks very much SueW will look at that info later (looks like there's a lot of it!)
Do you live in the area, and would you say that the planes are intrusive in your opinion?
THanks!

expatcat Tue 16-May-06 16:32:22

Bearing in mind I live on a MAJOR notts road at the mo, so we are used to a fair bit of road traffic noise (but this is partly what we are trying to escape)

marialuisa Wed 17-May-06 07:38:50

I work under the flight path (for planes coming in to land) and TBH it's not that bad. You get the odd cargo flight that makes you sit up but otherwise it's no problem. The students and villagers complain about a lot of things but the aircraft noise doesn't seem to be one of them.

SueW Wed 17-May-06 18:07:23

I live near M1/J25. Although we are sort of on the flight path, it's very rare that any passenger aircraft go over and disturb. Actually I don't think they ever do. But late at night cargo planes seem to take a different route. For a while when I was suffering from insomnia I would be awake at 3am every night when one came over.

It's not something that would worry me too much about choosing a house round here though, tbh.

If you want to know about flight paths and how they might affect you, you could go and spend a weekend in Melbourne and see what it's like.

I actually sleep better when I can hear noise and traffic that without it. I love sleeping with the windows open in hotels in city centres.

expatcat Wed 17-May-06 19:49:56

That's quite funny that you sleep better with noise - I'm a bit the same (always sleep with TV on low) and have always lived in cities, but finding our proximity to a major road too much especially for playing outside.
I don't think that the flight paths would worry us too much, it's just one of those things you wonder about!

Orinoco Wed 24-May-06 21:55:46

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: