Advanced search

Highgate v UCS 7+/Junior School

(52 Posts)
crankingup Wed 30-Jan-13 11:43:14

Think I may be choosing between these 2. I can see they are different and have read old threads on the subject. I think my son/DH and I would be equally happy at both.
Any new info to help me decide?

impatientmum Fri 08-Feb-13 18:51:56

Yes suzwuz he is in yr3

new2013 Wed 06-Feb-13 22:54:57

Woohoo! Good luck everyone! So glad this is over.

Turniphead1 Wed 06-Feb-13 22:46:23

Just filled out my Highgate form & written the cheque. smile

new2013 Wed 06-Feb-13 22:07:53

I am accepting UCS tomorrow as well! Just been to the meeting at highgate and it's not too bad with the rebuilding, temp school looks super nice..But just one more time felt how difficult the logistics will be from other side of the Heath. And UCS just does "click" more with us. Have a sibling as well to think about. There we go! Ds says he prefers UCS as well but not sure if it's just because of the lizard in the science room....

crankingup Wed 06-Feb-13 17:19:13

new2013 - I'm pretty decided on UCS (logistics fit better with DD at SHHS and I think not so ruthless with siblings?) but will go to meeting to see if anything changes my mind...both great schools difficult and fortunate choice to have!

suzwuz Wed 06-Feb-13 13:36:10

Hi seandoob - you have to make the right decision for all if you are in the fortunate position of have a choice. At least you won't have to drive for drop off /pick up. I would have had to drive to Highgate and would have made the school run difficult for my other DC. Hopefully a place for an anxious parent with a child on Highgate reserve list. Have you called Habs to decline - I only just made the acceptance deadline as was dithering - Doh!!

impatient - So reassuring to hear this! Is your DS in Year 3?

seandoob Wed 06-Feb-13 09:41:01

Hi suzwuz - we went for Highgate - my dd is at channing and we live in N6 village, dh went there. This means minimal school runs and as a family we just priorised quality of life at this point with ds being so young. It helped that Highgate Junior head called me and lobbied well! I accepted that I was in a position where choosing either school would leave me with a sense of 'what if?' re the school I turned down sad

impatientmum Tue 05-Feb-13 22:48:02

Suzwuz you have made a great choice. I was in the same position as you and we decided to go for habs. It's an excellent school great facilities and results and was the right school for our child. The boys adjust well on the coach and enjoy themselves.

new2013 Tue 05-Feb-13 21:21:54

I'm off to the talk tomorrow to try and make final decision btw H'gate and UCS...

suzwuz Tue 05-Feb-13 19:00:31

seandoob - if you don't mind me asking what did you decide - Habs or Highgate?

suzwuz Tue 05-Feb-13 18:25:51


Accepted Habs offer!! After some investigation we felt that the works at Highgate would be extensive and therefore more cause too much disruption - especially to the school run and as I have another, much younger DC to drop off and pick up I can't afford to be stuck in traffic. VV hard choice though, but pleased with Habs nonetheless!

Are other Highgate offer holders off to the meeting on Wednesday? Hope you all make a decision that works for you!

new2013 Sun 03-Feb-13 19:00:13

Would be just so nice to have dss in one school and forget about the exams and transfers and all that and let them just enjoy. Anyway, good luck to everyone with the choices! I'm sure we can't go very wrong with those schools.

crankingup Sun 03-Feb-13 17:40:06

new2013 - my experience is that UCS takes siblings although they state there is no sibling policy due to academic nature of school. On the other hand I know a lot of siblings who have been turned down at Highgate. Think they probably have more siblings apply anyway cos co-ed?

suzwuz Sun 03-Feb-13 15:46:41

Thanks so far!!! No spell check on this?!

suzwuz Sun 03-Feb-13 15:46:00

Hi Turnip - that is reassuring to know but do you know how the building works will affect drop off and pick up? Habs deadline is tomorrow so I won't be able to attend the meeting on Wednesday to find out more.

Congratulation on DS getting a place at WUS - a very difficult school to get in to so you must be proud of your little man! We did not apply as the cummute would have been impossible - further than Habs for us.... I do know friend's DS that gets on the school minibus? Perhaps you can ask WUS about that? BTW my friend is thrilled with the school, her son is flourishing and she insists the travel is well worth the amazing eduction at WUS - beyond anything they could have imagined.

new2013 - yes there is a strong sibling policy at UCS - Kevin Douglas (Head) has said he gives applications of siblings priority to mums with children at the school and IME children with an older sibling have gained a place at UCS without exception.

Thnaks so far fellow MNers. It's going to be a long night......

new2013 Sun 03-Feb-13 14:14:19

Im leaning towards UCS due to logistics really and siblings policy that seems to be bit more favourable there. But will decide after Highgate meeting on Wednesday..

Turniphead1 Sun 03-Feb-13 13:52:18

Agreed Crankingup. I will ask that. I have seen the postcode list fir from last year's 7+ intake and there is a smattering of n6, n8 and n1. But very much Kensington & Chelsea-heavy which will be a pain at weekends. I guess I would get used to that but no question it will be much less convenient than Highg ate friends.

crankingup Sun 03-Feb-13 13:27:57

Turniphead1 - I agree I think the building work at Highgate Junior will be well managed. It is quite a "slick" school and has already been dealing with building works at senior school. They have the space to do temporary classrooms and they are amazing nowadays. The temporary senior school built for South Hampstead Senior School is v impressive.
Add to issues of siblings, commute: where do classmates live? Eg for Westminster a lot live in Kensington, Chelsea, SW etc. Maybe they'd tell you how many of the offer holders live in N6/NW3 etc

Turniphead1 Sun 03-Feb-13 12:35:48

Don't want to out myself - but I think the building work will be very well managed - and the temp arrangements far better than most schools permanant classrooms! I am not concerned by it at all.
We have a child there already in the seniors but are choosing between there and We stminster.
We didn't apply for UCS - only those two. In a real dilemma - and issues such as siblings, commute etc loom large for us!

suzwuz Sun 03-Feb-13 12:06:51

Hi Crankingup
I think you make a valid point about the commute but the disruption that is likely to be caused by building works at Highgate is concerning me..... Turnip what are you thinking? Do you know how much of a disruption the new work is going to be? Thanks for your help!

crankingup Sun 03-Feb-13 10:43:38

Sounds like Highgate might be the choice for a few of you for geographical reasons. I'd say do not underestimate the benefits of going/walking to a local school. As homework ramps up in later years it also makes sense to not be spending long periods of time commuting otherwise it is just too hard to pack in sports activities, instrument practice, homework, lego, relaxing and life!! My DD is year 5 and has a lot going on so 30-40 min commute each way to school is becoming a real pain. Also the prospect of all your children being in the same school is worth a lot especially at a school like Highgate where they can cater for interests of a wide variety of children. But my eldest already happy in a girls school so that now not an issue for me (she didn't get into Highgate). I think I'm preferring UCS but not a lot in it!!

suzwuz Sat 02-Feb-13 22:16:34

Thanks seandoob, so the theory being that all 20 places will be filled through first round offers? Has anyone ever known of boys to get on from the waiting list?
Anyway, I am still none the wiser at this stage and will need to call Habs on Monday...

seandoob Sat 02-Feb-13 22:10:26

We were told by the Second Master at the Habs interview that they will make 23 offers for 20 places...

seandoob Sat 02-Feb-13 22:08:38

We were told my the second master(!) at habs that he's offering 23 places and expects 20 accept..

suzwuz Sat 02-Feb-13 21:50:37

saendoob, I totally agree....but with Habs deadline approaching I am feeling stressed abut making the right choice! Does anyone know how many offers for 7+ Habs makes BTW? I know a school mum friend with a DS on the 7+ waiting list for Habs and feeling guilty for being in this position

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: