Advanced search

RGS Guildford entrance 2013

(246 Posts)
BleakSpouse Wed 16-Jan-13 12:05:35

Anybody know if any rejection / second interview letters have yet been received?

IvySquirrel Thu 24-Jan-13 18:45:30

My DS's friend got a no letter for 11+ entry yesterday. Don't think he was too fussed as he already has another offer. So looks like they are out - hope that is good news for some of you!

surreygoldfish Thu 24-Jan-13 18:56:24

Fingers crossed for all those still waiting - nothing from RGS here yet either. Does anyone know whether they send out the 'no's' in stages or all at one time. Haven't heard of anyone having an interview for 13+ - do they invite 'the not sures' in this group back too?

Labro Thu 24-Jan-13 18:57:13

The 2 others at ds school plus another friend are all no for 13+, the 11+ rejections started to arrive yesterday.

Fayerfield Fri 25-Jan-13 11:01:23

Thanks for info on 11+ rejections. Postman has just been and no, NO letter today! Don't think I can stand this much longer...

Jiddle Fri 25-Jan-13 11:29:43

I think by this point Fayerfield if you haven't had a letter then you can rest assured you'll have a positive one in a couple of weeks. Well done to your DS!

surreygoldfish Fri 25-Jan-13 13:16:37

No 'NO' letter here. For 13+ entrance does anyone know when the 'try again at 12+' letters go out. It's not entirely clear from the admissions booklet whether these go out with the 'no' letters or the offers on the 18th. I don't want to get DS2's hopes up just yet - just in case it's a try again rather than an offer!

Fayerfield Fri 25-Jan-13 15:19:36

Thanks for the support JIDDLE but still nervous as some only got NO letters yesterday. If my DS wasn't so sure that he totally mucked it up, I would feel a bit more optomistic! Also, 2 other boys at his school sat the exam, one in top groups with my DS said it was okay the other in middle groups found it very hard and both have not heard anything either.

Has your DS been to his interview? If so hope it went well, if not yet - good luck.

Have now run out of fingernails and wine, onto the hard stuff....

Jiddle Fri 25-Jan-13 15:45:35

Mine's had his interview now, so we're just waiting... Hard to tell how it went from what he said, but the things he was asked to comment on sounded very hard to me. It certainly is a rigorous selection process.

Fayerfield Fri 25-Jan-13 17:06:54

Surreygoldfish keep those flippers crossed smile

Jiddle- Think your DS should get in just for surviving such an ordeal!

racingheart Sat 26-Jan-13 00:13:49

Jiddle- Think your DS should get in just for surviving such an ordeal!

So do I, Fayerfield.

They did say lots of the interviewed boys ended up being their best pupils. It's good that they do this, rather than relying on exams alone. Far better able to judge a boy's potential from how he tackles a difficult question - whether he gets it right or not, than just go on exam marks.

Still nothing from our postie either...

Labro Sat 26-Jan-13 07:45:49

Keeping everything crossed for you all.
I really wish they did all the interviews like this, I know ds found the interview on the day very difficult and as different people seemed to have very different interview styles it would standardise it. None of the youngsters I know have been invited to try again at 12+ either.

Fayerfield Sat 26-Jan-13 11:18:15

Postman has just been and no NO letter. He wanted to know why I was so excited about getting a phone bill!

racingheart Sat 26-Jan-13 12:29:26

No news here either. Trying not to get too hopeful.

Aboleyn Sat 26-Jan-13 13:24:43

We also are still waiting for 11+, jumping when the postman arrives, this is so hideous! 4 boys from our school have heard nothing too as yet, 1 sadly rejected. So sorry for those who have already had bad news.

Am figuring if we can make it to Wednesday next week without a letter we can start to get optimistic.....last second interview day is Friday 1st feb. I agree first interviews seemed very hit and miss, depending on who you got. My ds was hardly asked about his sport (hockey - main thing for him to talk about about from his xbox!) whereas other child got asked loads because he had a more unusual sport.

ShivBar Sat 26-Jan-13 15:27:21

Labro, have you considered Reigate Grammar School (ironically RGS as well!) as they only test the year of entry. It is a good school...
Should your son mature over the next year, I wouldn't think twice at trying your chances with Guildford nearer the 12+ time, if your current Headteacher will support application with evidence.... Our current prep school head is a great believer that too many of these schools test too early, and some boys are late developers, but go on to great things....never say never!

Jiddle Sat 26-Jan-13 16:22:57

Does anyone know what happens if you get an offer from another school which has to be accepted before the date RGS notifies? I don't want to not accept this other offer but then find RGS doesn't offer!

Aboleyn Sat 26-Jan-13 16:37:38

I have a friend who had 2 offers a couple of years ago and they could not decide before one of the deadlines. I think you can delay the earlier deadline by saying you are not sure, need to come back and look at it again etc. Some schools have coffee mornings specifically for this purpose. As long as you keep them informed they will extend the deadline for you while you make the decision. Nice position to be in? How long do you have between the two deadlines?

Jiddle Sat 26-Jan-13 18:09:25

Aboleyn the deadline for acceptance of one is 15 Feb, which is the date on which the RGS offers are posted. I am divorced as well which means I also have to have a bit of time to discuss with exH. I suppose I will ring the other school on Mon and ask if I could have an extension.

racingheart Sat 26-Jan-13 18:48:14

So you do have an acceptance lined up? That's great news, Jiddle. Takes some of the pressure off.

Labro Sat 26-Jan-13 19:31:16

Thanks Shiv, will have a look at Reigate as could be a useful back up if Reeds doesn't work out. The letter from Guildford (not sure if its their 'standard refusal') says 'I regret to say I don't feel that the RGS will be the most appropriate school for x and we will not therefore be continuing the admissions process for him' - I'm assuming that meant not to bother with applying at 12+?

Aboleyn Sat 26-Jan-13 19:48:25

Tricky. I am assuming we will not get letters till about 18 Feb from RGS. I think really lay it on thick with the other school about how you are split between the two schools - maybe blame ex-husband for a split decision - so it's important to give them both equal consideration. Did RGS say anything about decisions after a second interview - wouldn't they send you a rejection earlier than make you hang on till half term with everyone else - that wouldn't be fair, would it. Ie so if your son has an RGS place you should be able to assume this fairly soon. Call RGS to clarify this? Half term might be a factor with the other school - they want the decision before they break up. Am sure that if you explain, they should give you till after half term. Best of luck with it all.x

racingheart Mon 28-Jan-13 10:21:36

Any news/good no news anyone?

Post came. Nothing here.

Fayerfield Mon 28-Jan-13 10:36:55

Hi racingheart have you looked on elevenplusexams forum web site couple of pages, discussions re this topic. They think No letters are all out. I'm still not convinced but a bit more hopeful.

Postman has not been yet!!!!

Fayerfield Mon 28-Jan-13 10:56:26

Postman has been nothing here smile

Mangeshi Mon 28-Jan-13 14:08:47

Is no news a good news?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now