Talk

Advanced search

Yesterday - kcs entrance exam for 7+.

(19 Posts)
RiseDS Sun 13-Jan-13 12:35:36

Hi all,

Finally the exam phobia is over. my ds did ok but he had problems in comprehension which is worrying me a lot now. anyone else had same view or it is just me?

Beenthereandnotnice Sun 13-Jan-13 22:24:37

My DS sat yesterday and he spent so long on the comprehension that he didn't get to write any of his story sad Guess the comprehension must have been hard if it took all the time to answer for DS. No chance of a place now sad

Tiffinmad Mon 14-Jan-13 09:23:36

Our story was a bit of a disaster!! He managed a page but i dont think the quality was of much substance!!! Does anyone know how much emphasis is actually placed on the story if everything else was relatively okay? I know there are about 180 applicants for the 56 places. R they all normally very well prepared??

Tiffinmad Mon 14-Jan-13 09:25:28

i thought i would feel better after the exam but now i dont know how i can wait the next 2 weeks and if i can bring myself to open the results letter!!

RiseDS Mon 14-Jan-13 12:22:59

Tiffinmad: I think if he has written a sensible story then nothing to worry. Also I checked with KCS, this time it is 197 total applicants for 56 places.

My ds didn't do well at all in comprehension and has not attempted many questions. It is very frustrating to find it because he was doing good at home.

I am not so hopeful so not expecting any miracle in result.

Beenthereandnotnice Mon 14-Jan-13 13:49:18

Apparently comprehension was Roald Dahl About a boy, and all about caning. The last question of the comp was a continuation of the story. Bit harsh to have a continuation question and then have to write a story. Story was also 'Worst day at school' and I wonder how they can set a story like that when it will bring out very negative e
emotions? What if your worst day at school involved something horrific?

DS said comp was 30 marks and story 25 marks. Might not be accurate tho!

RiseDS Mon 14-Jan-13 14:04:58

Yeah my ds said about the story 'Worst day at school'. It is not justice to ask kids at these age to write negative stories. Specially after the comprehension where kids is punished in school which is even for more scary.
I know from sample paper that comp was 30 and story was of 2 marks.
not sure which one is more important. but at the end they weigh some marks.

RiseDS Mon 14-Jan-13 14:07:46

Also how did maths go about. ds said there were some dictation and VR but no non vr.

Tiffinmad Mon 14-Jan-13 14:17:59

my DS said maths was okay, same about reasoning that there was only verbal. Dictation was okay too. problem is trying to get info from him is like getting blood out of a stone!
To be honest i don't have much hope either as the story was half the english test, and Im really annoyed as we did not practice that title at all in any form, so i guess he got v confused.
With 200 tutored kids, doubt we stand a chance. We have plan B and C but none will be ideal as they are v far from where we are!
Hes at a prep school now, up to 11 or 13, but having just gone thru 11+ with my DD( which has been most stressful thing ever)i was really hoping not to have to do 11+ or 13+ again!! But looks like poor boy will have to prepare again after intense revision these last few weeks!
Sorry i went on..but really needed to rant

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Mon 14-Jan-13 14:25:56

Been there, done that. I sympathise. Don't be too down on him or yourself, though. In my experience, whatever the child said is probably not an accurate reflection of what he really did and he probably did an awful lot more! Good luck with the results - I believe KCS are usually quite good at picking boys who really do fit (because it isn't for everyone) so if your DS doesn't get in, don't despair as there is somewhere which will suit him better, I promise. smile

RiseDS Mon 14-Jan-13 14:29:24

I think we are sailing in the same boat. we have not tutored ds and very obvious we did not practice any negative topic at home. Even my ds didn't do more than half of comprehension.
not sure how stressful it will be in future to prepare for any entrance exam...

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Mon 14-Jan-13 14:49:39

Honestly, you did the right thing not getting a tutor. I didn't either and it was fine. Don't be sucked into the general panic that is the KCS 7+! I do know of one little boy who was tutored and was then asked to leave after 3 years because he wasn't up to it, which I believe was much more difficult for him and his parents. If KCS isn't the right place, then so be it. It isn't the be all and end all, and there are other great schools out there too.

RiseDS Mon 14-Jan-13 16:50:03

Thank you TheReturnoftheSmartArse.
It is very disappointing to know this specially when we did so much effort to help him to get through the test. And 8+ onwards the number of seats are very less. But as you say it isn't the be all and end all.

Beenthereandnotnice Mon 14-Jan-13 17:58:40

Agree totally with SmartArse (good name!) - I know that it would be miserable for DS to be scraping along the bottom, ruinous for his self-esteem etc. It's just that he worked so hard for it and a little part of me is sad that we will have to go through a similar process in 4 years time for the pre-test. The prize of KCS is really that you avoid the madness of the pre-test / common entrance.

Was told by DS that the reasoning was quite easy which a lot of boys at his pre-prep have also said.

Re: negative story title - guess that KCJS were thinking of ways to weed out boys as there are more applying this year than any previous year. I think that maybe the younger boys will have difficulty adapting to that story title though and that is a shame. Also think that a difficult comprehension will have thrown DS and put him off for the rest of the exam. But then they are probably looking for boys who are not thrown by that kind of thing.

Tiffinmad Thu 31-Jan-13 11:02:57

Anyone heard anything yet? Results should have been posted out yesterday?

AugusBorn Thu 31-Jan-13 13:47:26

Called school who said it was posted first class. I still haven't received anything though. Anyone else have any luck?

Pdot Thu 31-Jan-13 14:10:37

Hi all, we got our letter first class today. Some days we don't receive any post at all so it could be that your postman just hasn't delivered today? Frustrating though I admit!

alliswell1 Mon 20-Feb-17 22:13:08

Hi All, we will be in same situation next year.. Appreciate if someone can please provide some guidance on preparation for 7+ KCS entrance exam?

alliswell1 Thu 23-Feb-17 21:55:19

Dear all,

Good luck to everyone.. appreciate if anyone kindly provide some tips and experienced tutor for KCS 7+ entrance?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now