Talk

Advanced search

collective noun for rockets?

(19 Posts)
ZZZenAgain Wed 28-Nov-12 10:29:43

Dd asked me and I don't know. Does anyone know the collective noun for rockets. She thinks "a launch of rockets" sounds good. I have no idea.

SillyBeardyDudeyman Wed 28-Nov-12 10:30:39

Salvo I think.

tiggytape Wed 28-Nov-12 10:36:06

A fleet (like with cars?).
I am only guessing though and think your DD's idea is much better.

senua Wed 28-Nov-12 10:52:38

What sort of rockets - missiles or spaceships?

CecilyP Wed 28-Nov-12 11:17:27

Or fireworks?

Don't spaceships tend to be built individually?

meditrina Wed 28-Nov-12 11:24:45

Salvo or battery, I think

grovel Wed 28-Nov-12 12:24:41

A salad.

SavoyCabbage Wed 28-Nov-12 12:30:53

Salad! Howling at that.

ZZZenAgain Wed 28-Nov-12 12:31:02

Thanks, she asked about both missiles and spaceships. So a salvo (or battery) of missiles and a fleet of spaceships perhaps.
In fact she told me to go and ask on MN!

joanbyers Wed 28-Nov-12 14:01:15

flurry,

ZZZenAgain Wed 28-Nov-12 20:28:52

Thanks Joan. Have just googled 'a flurry of rockets' and quite a few newspaper articles came up using it (rockets as missiles obviously).

GrimmaTheNome Wed 28-Nov-12 20:31:12

Spaceships would definitely be a fleet, its what they call them in Star Trek. grin

ZZZenAgain Wed 28-Nov-12 20:34:06

I was thinking that too Grimma! I am sure in Star Wars they attack a 'fleet' too.

vintageviolets Wed 28-Nov-12 20:34:51

La R'ockets.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 28-Nov-12 20:50:52

zzen - of course. With admirals etc - they're spaceships

If you're on the receiving end of a load of the missile types, then they're an 'air-raid'

peteneras Wed 28-Nov-12 21:16:22

Arsenal.

propatria Thu 29-Nov-12 09:37:32

A fusillade of rockets.

ZZZenAgain Thu 29-Nov-12 13:19:34

seem to be quite a few collective nouns which apply! Spoilt for choice now.

StephanieMcAlea Sat 08-Apr-17 11:39:30

I'm sure this thread must be dead by now but 'Battery' is the correct term for rockets/missiles/torpedo/guns/dispensed munitions while on board a vessel.
When they are launched collectively, as in multiple munitions/'birds' striking a target, they are known as a barrage. 'Salvo' is restricted to solid munitions such as railgun rounds, mass driver rounds, shells, and flak or point defence rounds. 'Arsenal' is the collective noun for all the weapons on a vessel regardless of their nature, but is mostly used these days to denote ammunition stores on land/planet and even then is most ften called a 'depot'. 'Battery' is also sometimes used to describe multiple guns on board a ship, usually with a location.

For example:
"Ensign, power up the battery."
"Send a barrage of Tomahawk missiles to that airport."
"Fire a salvo at the enemy vessel using our portside mass drivers."

A 'Launch' is never used for munitions as it is the name for a small ship board vessel such as a rescue craft, a captain's shuttle, or an insertion craft for marines.

nb-I create starships for science fiction games and have read extensively on terrestrial naval operations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now