Talk

Advanced search

Moving Schools in a Different Area

(3 Posts)
tiggerthebouncytiger Mon 22-Oct-12 16:55:21

I may have to move areas within England, and was wondering what is the first thing I should do about getting my DC into another primary school?

Is the procedure the same, or is every Council different?

prh47bridge Mon 22-Oct-12 20:29:25

There are differences but there are a lot of things that are the same for every LA.

You apply to the LA. You can name at least 3 preferences. If one of your preferences has a place it must be offered to you. If none of them have a place available the LA must find a place for you.

Some LAs will accept applications once you have exchanged contracts (assuming you are buying a property), others will not accept an application until you have actually moved in. You will need to talk to the LA to find out what rules they operate.

anklebitersmum Wed 24-Oct-12 15:03:34

Put your postcode in the where are schools list (see ofsted or just google schools in Staffordshire for example).

Once you've done that have a good read of all the ofsted reports in the schools that are within a few miles of your new home. Make a shortlist. Once you've done that ideally go and visit them BUT if you can't give them a ring and ask them to send a prospectus out (most schools have them).

Then go to the relevant LEA with your 1-3 list and keep your fingers crossed. Chatting to the schools help because if they are massively over-subscribed or it's 'villagers only' it saves you wasting a choice.

We move at least every 2yrs so feel free to ask/mesage if you're stuck grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now