Could anyone tell me how to go about becoming a supply teacher?

(7 Posts)
girlsyearapart Fri 19-Oct-12 21:00:49

I am looking for advice on how to get into supply teaching and wondering how it all works really.

I am a qualified PGCE primary school teacher. My eldest daughter is 5 and has just started reception. Dd2 will start reception next September dd3 the September after and ds two years after that.

I went on maternity leave to have dd1 and have never returned to teaching but really feel now is the time to dip my toe in!

I was thinking about doing some supply work.

Do you put your name down on a list with the days you are available?

How much notice do you get?

ScorpionQueen Fri 19-Oct-12 21:17:25

I gave a copy of my CV and a cover letter with a copy of my crb to several local schools and joined an agency. It didn't take long for the calls to start.

Sometimes schools rang in the morning for short notice supply or I could be booked in advance for a day, a few days or a longer block.

If you are reliable, professional and nice to the children you soon build up a list of regulars.

I registered on the LA supply list too, I think you have to, although I never got work directly from that.

You can always say no if it is too short notice, not your preferred age group, etc.

Good luck. smile

Misssss Fri 19-Oct-12 22:58:48

Just join a couple of agencies. Like Scorpin said, if you are good then you will get regular schools quickly. Be warned that you will get calls in the morning at times but most of the time supply is booked in advance. Best of luck,

wonderstuff Fri 19-Oct-12 22:59:52

Our LEA has details of the agencies it uses on its website.

girlsyearapart Sat 20-Oct-12 06:56:29

Thanks for your replies.
I have looked on the local lea website but couldn't find anything on there about supply.
Didn't even think about giving my cv direct to the schools though so might try that to start with as if I hand pick the schools it might be easier for me to get the kids sorted out.

girlsyearapart Sat 20-Oct-12 06:57:07

My own kids that is- not the ones at the school!!

chickenk Wed 03-Feb-16 19:08:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now