Talk

Advanced search

General Knowledge sources for selective entry at 11

(13 Posts)
amidaiwish Fri 19-Oct-12 11:32:59

DD1 may (or may not) go for selective entry for secondary school. Apparently it is important they have a good level of general knowledge and current affairs.
Her general knowledge is good as she reads widely, however current affairs are lacking. She doesn't watch the news, i don't want her to to be honest. Her teacher suggested getting "The Week" which i subscribe to, but i don't really think it is completely suitable - this week for example is all about Jimmy Savile, is that really appropriate reading for a 9 year old?
Or am i just being over protective?
thanks

EdithWeston Fri 19-Oct-12 11:36:10

The popular choice is First News (a digest like This Week but for children).

Or look for specific articles from newspapers - try a Sunday broadsheet as they tend to have the greatest range of think pieces.

EdithWeston Fri 19-Oct-12 11:37:59

Oh, and CBBC Newsround's website is worth a look too.

amidaiwish Fri 19-Oct-12 11:49:18

ah thanks will take a look at First News. Actually I think i've seen it in their library at school... it's like a newspaper (rather than magazine?)

she gets Aquila, which she loves, but again it is very much general knowledge (history, geography, science) rather than what is happening in the world today.

merrymonsters Fri 19-Oct-12 12:04:02

I second Newsround. It does the news in a simpler and less gory way, but still covers the main topics.

Beanbagz Fri 19-Oct-12 12:12:44

Why not try the I newspaper? It's only 20p. I buy that for my 10yo old DD as she has a current affairs club at school.

I have discussed Jimmy Savile with my DD as we were in Leeds Museum and DH made a comment about them having covered his photo up (she wanted to know why).

I don't think you're being overprotective with your DD but i do feel they need to know about these things to keep themselves (and possibly their own children) safe.

amidaiwish Fri 19-Oct-12 12:13:21

am i right that the news, normal news i mean, isn't suitable for kids? it's the last thing i'd want them seeing every day, they'd be awake all night worrying. Or am i being ridiculous?

EdithWeston Fri 19-Oct-12 12:30:03

It depends entirely what is on. The "snuff movie" footage of the capture/death of Gadhaffi would for example be totally inappropriate, but was on in great detail on the BBC 6pm bulletin, which one might otherwise have expected to be the one to choose for this purpose. And there have been a number of other stories which have required the 'distressing content' warning even though it's several hours pre-watershed.

Unfortunately, this means it is risky to have the news on (especially if your 11 year old has younger siblings).

But if the editorial control reverted to what it was a couple of years ago (pre-watershed, no footage requiring 'distressing content' warning and less graphic descriptions of eg extent of injuries) then I'd be recommending it.

richmal Fri 19-Oct-12 13:01:48

I agree with watching newsround. What about talking to your dd about the stories. For instance, if there is an article about China or Africa, get the globe out and see if you can find it. If there is a story about Cameron, discuss how parliament works. Also, get her to think about what she hears, for instance, does she have a view on the stories and if she had to argue from the opposing side, what would she say?

Beanbagz Fri 19-Oct-12 13:22:55

We listen to the news on the radio as we no tv downstairs. No graphic footage on there EdithWeston.

Discussed the Lockerbie bombing with my DCs the other day. It all stemmed from a conversation about taking toy guns on airplanes.

richmal Fri 19-Oct-12 13:22:58

I should add, I do know what you mean about children not being troubled with the troubles of the world. I too do not particularly want my own dd to have these worries. There are, however quite a few less traumatic stories eg missions to Mars, which you could follow.

amidaiwish Fri 19-Oct-12 13:24:09

thanks, will make an effort to watch newsround with them.

mimbleandlittlemy Fri 19-Oct-12 16:08:14

If she is only 9 as you say, she won't be doing the 11+ for a bit longer and perhaps you will find she has more interest/you are just a bit less protective when she's a fraction older - and if they do ask about current affairs it will be current affairs for then, some time down the road, not a year + in the past.

Friends whose children have had to do this, just had them reading papers/listening to the news in the few weeks before interviews/exams and it seemed to work fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now