Talk

Advanced search

Teachers - advice please

(10 Posts)
dabdab Tue 16-Oct-12 23:21:34

I am primary trained, and have had 3 yrs off. I would like to go back into it, except teaching reception, as opposed to Y1-6. I do not feel able to promote myself for Reception jobs as the EYFS is so different to the Nat Curriculum. Ideally I would do a top up course, but they do not seem to exist anymore. There is CPD if you are in a school already, but nothing if you are looking to return. I am currently volunteering in a school.
Do you have any further suggestions of what might be helpful to get me up to speed for a Reception job?

mumnosbest Tue 16-Oct-12 23:29:44

early years curriculum has changed this year so its new to everyone. best time to get in there. i did exactly this 3 years ago. went for an interview, was very honest, said i was really keen to teach early years but would need support. got the job and learnt from an excellent EY teacher. i pushed transferable experience: behaviour management,SENs, planning, relationship with children.

dabdab Tue 16-Oct-12 23:34:09

Thanks, I am sure that is part of the approach I will need to take. Part of it is also my confidence has dropped. I imagine that the planning is very different as well. Are there any crucial websites that you use?

mumnosbest Tue 16-Oct-12 23:38:57

not really sorry. the teacher i work with is very experienced so planning/topics are very established. it sounds like thats the kind of school you need to look for, especially as theres a huge lack of funding for any training nowadays.

dabdab Tue 16-Oct-12 23:40:53

Yes, that sounds like a good idea - if it is possible! Where I worked last we kind of had to make it up as we went along in regards to planning. Thanks for responding, it is helpful.

mumnosbest Tue 16-Oct-12 23:45:12

no prob. sounds just like me a few years ago. best move i made, i love it smile

Fluffanstuff Sat 20-Oct-12 14:10:24

Hi ,
Early years practitioner dealing with children 2 and a half year olds up to those in their reception year due to lack of school places !! , If you are feeling a bit out of the loop perhaps think about just doing a week or two volunteering at a local pre-school / nursery. A good quality setting would welcome a teacher , as part of their CPD for staff too to appreciate the differences in schools , but it would allow you the chance to see the new EYFS in action , as well as a selling point for any future interviews. I personally feel in the borough I work in that reception classes are being to work more like my pre-school groups that they are years 1 and two. The new EYFS is readily avaiable online - just google development matters and check is the 2012 version and you can have a read through the targets you would be working towards.

Some considerations would be that moving to reception , particularly with children starting school at a younger age , you may still have to deal with developing childrens self care routines such as toileting issue and blowin noses etc.

Also planning for the EYFS has a child centric approach (even in schools) so be prepared to get creative as you will be planning around the childrens ideas. Delivering the EYFS tends to be a lot more personalised than national curriculum is and focus would be on individual needs.

Just a few things to get you started , good luck ! x

insancerre Sat 20-Oct-12 14:17:39

Have a look at EYPS (Early Year Practitioner status). There are several pathways
www.education.gov.uk/childrenandyoungpeople/earlylearningandchildcare/delivery/b00201345/graduate-leaders/eyps
I am currently doing the GPP and there are several teachers on my course.

insancerre Sat 20-Oct-12 14:20:22

sorry, Early Years Professional Status
blush

Fluffanstuff Sat 20-Oct-12 19:58:33

EYPS would require you to already be working and covers from babies to EYFS. as someone who is currently doing it I would also suggest that a lot of it is down to prior knowledge , if your new to EYFS it would probably be best to get experience first. It also isn't really beneficial career wise in terms of more opportunities , its not really very widely recognised im literally only doing it to gain a little bit of extra money for my setting. Although it looks good on the CV it won't teach you anything as its all you based on you showing evidence that comply with the EYP Standards.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: