Talk

Advanced search

Annoyed with private tutoring in public libraries

(114 Posts)
BeingFluffy Sat 13-Oct-12 15:46:27

Just visited my local library - both adult and junior. They are both rather small and cramped.

In the adult library the section I wanted to look at was completely blocked off as a tutor and her tutees were plonked in front of it. I saw two other tutors with tutees in there as well.

In the junior library it was even worse. Both sets of tables and chairs were in use by a tutor and tutees. We we unable to look at the books we wanted to.

I did mention it to the staff and they said it concerned them but they weren't sure what to do about it, although the council's by-laws do ban commercial activities/businesses from running in the library.

Surely they can find somewhere else - failing all else there are plenty of coffee shops around and probably quieter.

OddBoots Sat 13-Oct-12 15:49:38

I know the parks departments around here have started charging fitness groups that are run for profit in the public parks, I'm sure the same rules could be applied here.

LeeCoakley Sat 13-Oct-12 15:52:16

The staff should be banning them! They've got a nerve coming in anyway. What's wrong with the tutors' houses? Or was it a one off? I think I would have just said Excuse me and pushed my way to the relevant books.

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-Oct-12 15:55:57

My friend is a tutor. She says that's what some of the clients want. confused You should be able to get to the books though.

BackOnceAgainWithLoopyLoops Sat 13-Oct-12 15:57:37

Safer, innit.

germyrabbit Sat 13-Oct-12 15:58:32

at least they're using the libraries, surely it should be encouraged!

though the staff need to make sure the books and resources are available to everyone

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-Oct-12 16:00:35

I would certainly think for a first lesson it would be advisable to meet in a safe place like a library.

I would imagine it would be hard to concentrate in a coffee shop TBH.

poozlepants Sat 13-Oct-12 16:04:24

Libraries are under threat of closure so the more people who use it the better. If they are disturbing you then that's another matter then you can complain but I'm sure the librarians are glad of every body that comes through the door.

nkf Sat 13-Oct-12 16:07:11

What bothered you? I dont't get it. Couldn't you just say, "Excuse me, I'd like to look at those books?"

AChickenCalledKorma Sat 13-Oct-12 20:19:32

Sounds to me like your library staff need to grow a pair and, at a minimum, ensure that genuine library users are able to access library services. Especially if there's actually a by-law about it.

RosemaryandThyme Sat 13-Oct-12 20:34:02

Are you sure the libary staff arn't taking a back-hander ?

ImaginateMum Sat 13-Oct-12 21:45:15

This happens at our local library and it is annoying. There are seats round a table for 10 children, but a couple of tutors always sit there with one child each and spread all their work out so no-one else can fit on. A one-off would be fine, but it is always the same people taking the same amount of space. If they took a corner position and just took up their entitled space (i.e. two people = 2/10 of the table) then I wouldn't mind.

vespalover Sat 13-Oct-12 21:47:45

How do you know it's private tuition? ( apologies if I missed something?). Many council based tutors teach children and young people on a 1-1 in libraries, far safer and more appropriate than the pupils home.

ImaginateMum Sat 13-Oct-12 21:53:42

Don't know about OP. As for me, I don't know, but I have guessed as the children being tutored are all wearing expensive private school uniforms and have expensive books and materials.

DoIDare Sat 13-Oct-12 22:13:56

If you were paying for a private school, would you not be really peed off to be paying a tutor as well? (off at a tangent I know)

However, if I could not access part of a public library, I would just ask them to move up/over etc. if they were awkward, I daresay I'd get a little awkward too!

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-Oct-12 22:15:39

DoI my friend tutors a lot of private school children. I am constantly shock

DoIDare Sat 13-Oct-12 22:18:17

Weird isn't it? I do know of a couple of families who do this, but the one I know best, their dd is just not as bright as they want her to be. It must be very hard for her.

My kids are a complete mixture, so my expectations are all over the place!

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-Oct-12 22:22:51

DS1 had a tutor for maths in Year 2. He was at a state school but totally drowning while the teacher ploughed ahead regardless, helping the gifted ones. sad

DoIDare Sat 13-Oct-12 22:23:56

Such a a shame when that happens. The knock on effects are grim. But an hours one to one can be magical I think.

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-Oct-12 22:26:20

It was amazing DoI. He just needed to go right back to where he started drowning, and be reassured he could do it. And he could. Half an hour a week.

He's in Year 9 now. Top set maths. smile

DoIDare Sat 13-Oct-12 22:34:50

Brilliant. Imagine paying hundreds each month and needing to top up as well!

Half my wages go on tutoring, but utterly worth it!

ImaginateMum Sat 13-Oct-12 22:37:16

I had to tutor DS1 myself in Maths in Year 2. He went from bottom to top stream. He'd somehow missed something along the way and turned off at school. When the gap was plugged, whoosh, away he went!

He's not at private school though and we didn't take up undue amounts of library space!

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-Oct-12 22:39:42

Us neither Imaginate-the magic was done at our dining table, no hogging the library. wink

CecilyP Sun 14-Oct-12 10:16:15

The staff should be banning them, as libraries are not for the purpose of providing business premises for free. It is of no benefit to the library that people are doing this, and it is a disbenefit if it drives away normal readers. If the library provided rooms for hire for these tutors that would be a different matter.

But it is quite likely that the library assistant you approached did not have the confidence or authority to ask them to go. I would write to the relevant director at your local council to complain - this should be dealt with and clear guidance given to library staff on how to deal with this.

nkf Sun 14-Oct-12 10:16:28

I think it's fine to use the library but it's a public space so they shouldn't be greedy. But if people are spread out and nobody asks them to budge up, how will they know that they are inconveniencing people?

Sometimes homes are full of smaller kids or parents working from home. Libraries are under utilised resources and they will vanish. If people were selling drugs to kids in libraries, I could understand the outrage

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now