Talk

Advanced search

Jolly phonics

(7 Posts)
lisad123 Wed 10-Oct-12 21:29:27

Have had a reception class meeting today and dd2 new school is doing jolly phonics. Now dd2 has autism, sensory issues, eye tracking issues and isn't getting much if it at all sad we are trying to work hard with her and want to buy some phonics stuff for here. She learns via repeating and visual aids. She's one of the eldest and doesn't know her alphabet or how to write her name (we spent months trying to get her to hold a pencil right)!

Where is best place for these phonics stuff?? What ones would you start with?
Tia

SavoyCabbage Wed 10-Oct-12 21:33:45

Hi, I taught my dd the sounds from jolly phonics using flash cards that I bought from eBay. (I live abroad where they do t do phonics)

However, if the teacher has the jolly phonics handbook she could make you some flash cards or lend you the book so you can make them.

There is also a jolly phonics DVD but its a bit old-school and not that engaging. My dd liked alphablocks much better.

They will

JJWMummy Wed 10-Oct-12 23:00:16

You can get the Jolly Phonics books and a cd in ELC, they're about £10-£20 I think. Gt ds2 one and we played it in the car repeatedly, drove me bonkers but it worked, he reads now!!!

Also, for what it's worth, ds1 has frontal lobe syndrome, ADHD and autistic tendencies and he did well with the aid of the cd, took a little longer obviously but we got there in the end.

HTH

RosemaryandThyme Thu 11-Oct-12 14:34:15

Just goog;e Jolly Phonics and it can all be sent direct, much is available from Amazon too.

I've had the following ;

Wall frieze -good, big, stretch around the kitchen or whereever you spend most time reading rather than a bedroom.
Flashcards - good largeish size and thick so last a while, colour coding and split digraphs etc can be unessecarily confusing for children.
Music CD -0 vital but might not be good for non-audio learner, does give lots of simple songs which helps memorary.
DVD - old fashioned graphics, but strangley appealing, children watched it lots but sometimes because it was easier than putting the effort into actually reading, I did like it and over the years have been through three copies of it.
Watch out for wrting, it demonstrates letters by printing (ie non-0cursive_) could be confusing if child is learning cursive writing.
Matching Game - avoid this, the card is flimsy and the pictures and words very small, didn't last long here and a savy child soon learns to match by the back colours of the card rather than actually read.
Jolly phonics readers books -four colours, I would recaommed all four levels, 18 books in each level, some are dull regarding content but they do force / encourage progression and if stuck too till the bitter end do ensure a child can read at a reasonable level.

mrz Thu 11-Oct-12 17:48:14

The songs are fun, the wall frieze can be a useful reference and the flash cards help to reinforce learning but don't waste money on the DVD, books games etc. You might find the handbook useful to explain how the programme works.

halloweeneyqueeney Thu 11-Oct-12 17:52:01

I find the BBC book good because it has a book, a DVD and a poster in a pack so quite multi-sensory, I also use magnetic letters on the poster (laid out on coffee table) - so when one's on the DVD, he searches for it in the pile of magnetic letters and then finds where to put them on the poster

I find the hand book quite heavy going and "dry" but useful as a reference

(new to this myself, no expert)

purplehouse Thu 11-Oct-12 17:54:52

Amazon Or eBay
Jolly phonics read and see books (one word per page)
Jolly phonics workbooks 1-7
Used both these with my asd child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now