Talk

Advanced search

Recommend me a non picture book for me to read at bed time to my 5 year old

(58 Posts)
Mypopcornface Mon 08-Oct-12 20:47:07

So, dd is 5 and still struggling with phonics and reading. I'm the only one reading to her and with her as everybody else from the family isn't interested. It is really sad as my accent is atrocious and even tough I can read very well for myself I have to make a big effort and pronounce very careful land slowly to not say the words wrong. Anyway, picture books are fun but I want to start reading a longer story to her, maybe one chapter each night? I'm thinking the wizard of oz or the secret garden, what do you think? Please reply with your suggestions. Thanks.

vodkaanddietirnbru Mon 08-Oct-12 21:03:56

I am reading the magic faraway tree books to ds (6) at the moment.

armedtotheteeth Mon 08-Oct-12 21:17:28

Any Roald Dahl book! They generally have a few black and white drawings scattered through them but are more words than pictures and in chapters. Great fun for that age. My Naughty Little Sister is good too and a bit simpler -more a collection of short stories than chapters.

shopofdreams Mon 08-Oct-12 21:21:11

Roald Dahl books are great. These are good for younger listeners.

Fantastic Mr Fox
The Twits
George's Marvellous Medicine

suebfg Mon 08-Oct-12 21:24:08

Magic Faraway Tree, the Wishing Chair, Paddington, Alice in Wonderland, the Akimbo series (by Alexander McCall Smith) are great and educational about animals, Charlie and the chocolate factory ...

I'd also highly recommend audio books for when you are in the car. We hire them from the library and they are very popular with DS who is 5. He loves the Roald Dahl audio books and they're very well read. They may be helpful to you.

Mypopcornface Mon 08-Oct-12 21:27:53

I'm taking notes. There is the book fair at school tomorrow.

fuzzpig Mon 08-Oct-12 21:29:20

The proper Winnie the Pooh?

I just started George's Marvellous Medicine with my 5yo as her first 'big' book. Forgot how gruesome it was though shock

I am thinking of trying a secret seven or something but would also love suggestions. She brought home a rainbow fairy book from the school library <ugh> which I will read to her as well.

thewhistler Mon 08-Oct-12 21:35:44

Esio trot by Dahl

Little House in the big woods by Laura ingalls wilder.

Horrid Henry

sybilwibble Mon 08-Oct-12 21:52:34

To add to Dahl and naughty little sister books - books by Anne Fine, easier Dick king Smith, jeremy strong, the first Harry Potter, Flat Stanley..

LordFlasheart Mon 08-Oct-12 21:57:23

great suggestions here! Was thinking the twits or maybe famous five, will order the magic faraway tree, i remember loving that.

pianomama Mon 08-Oct-12 22:01:37

Mommintroll books! You will enjoy them as much as your DC.Great fan !

blueberryboybait Mon 08-Oct-12 22:03:53

DD1 and I are currently reading these

Arkady Mon 08-Oct-12 22:04:22

Just finished Fantastic Mr Fox here. He also loved George's Marvellous Medicine, and will probably be besotted by The Owl who was Afraid of the Dark for ever more. Jill Tomlinson's other ones were rubbish though.
I had the Hobbit read to me when I was around that age, but DS1 would so not be up for something that long, involved or scarey.
Some picture books have quite a lot of words - more a story with a lot of illustrations, eg the Church Mice books by Graham Oakley.

timetosmile Mon 08-Oct-12 22:05:43

noooooo..not Little House in the Big Woods, please!!

I've just finished reading it with DD(8). My nostalgic memories of it were brought up sharply when we got to the extensively detailed pig slaugtering scene.

Akimbo series is also wonderful but has some gory/scary bits I wouldn't like to read with DS,5.

Mrs Pepperpot is old, slightly mad, but good to read together.

They do get nightmares/ worry about stories more than we sometimes think at this age or is it just my highly suggestible gang?

girliefriend Mon 08-Oct-12 22:09:03

Have just finished reading the twits to my 6yo dd for the second time tonight - she loves it and laughs proper belly laughs at the stupid things they do each other although is slightly scared that if she stands on her head for too long she will get the shrinks

Am also wondering what to start next with her so watching with interest....

Arkady Mon 08-Oct-12 22:28:32

Paddington wasn't popular here. (Well, with DS1, I liked it). Might try again.
Gobbolino the Witch's Cat turned out to be unpleasant, despite DH's fond memories of reading it to himself at about 7. We conveniently lost it after a few chapters.
Can definitely second Flat Stanley. There's been a lot of playing being slid under doors, posted in envelopes, blown up with bike pumps etc here lately. Anyone know if the other Flat Stanley books are any good? Saw them on Book People and was considering them.

TalkinPeace2 Mon 08-Oct-12 22:35:30

5 Minute Farmyard tales

Roal Dahl

A A Milne - reading poetry like James James Morrison Morrison is REALLY good for pronunciation - and fun
and the full Winnie the Pooh is written to be read aloud

then migrate onto the Arthur Ransome Swallows and Amazons series - GREAT adventure books

Elibean Mon 08-Oct-12 22:37:34

Winnie the Witch - dd's best friend (just 6) loved it today.

richmal Tue 09-Oct-12 07:57:15

My dd loved "Wind in the Willows" at around that age.

megandraper Tue 09-Oct-12 08:04:24

Usborne book of Greek Myths (it has a pronunciation guide in the back for the Greek names) - my 5yo loves it.

EssieW Tue 09-Oct-12 08:09:08

Vik the Viking by shoo rayner - v easy chapter book but good stories
Also Winnie the witch chapter books

DeWe Tue 09-Oct-12 09:23:21

Timeto smile ds was fascinated by the pig slaughter scene. He found it very interesting. So interesting, he asked if we could raise a pig, so he could have a pig bladder football and roast the tail. grin He loved the bits where they're producing their own food.

I'm reading "Island of Adventure" to ds (age 5) now. He's now asking for a parrot. he wants to take it to school so it can pick up the phrase "silly sausage" from the teacher hmm

3nationsfamily Tue 09-Oct-12 09:38:03

Another vote for the Wishing Chair, and the Magic Faraway tree by Enid Blyton.

Mypopcornface Tue 09-Oct-12 10:01:22

Thanks so much. I'm not English native speaker so I'm not in the know about the books in English. I know I should have started ages ago but never too late

WineOhWhy Tue 09-Oct-12 10:21:58

I think some of the books you have in mind are a little grown up, although most of the suggestions are great. generally i think books with very distinct chapters (i.e. stand-alone stories, or close to stand-alone stories) work well at that age becuase it can be quite difficult for them to follow the plot the whole way through a 200 page book. DD's favourite at that age was my naughty little sister (dorothy edwards). Also Amelia Jane and Magic faraway tree (enid Blyton). A friend recommended Milly-Molly Mandy, but we found it just too old fashioned.
They also liked the Worst Witch books (which is a single story). Velveteen rabbit is lovely. Coming up to christmas, the story of holly and ivy is lovely (Rumer Godden)

If you are concerned with your accent, you could consider getting some audio books. We had an audio book of my naughty little sister, which the DDs loved to listen to in the car but would also listen in the house and try to follow in the book. I dont think it should replace you reading, but coudl be a helpful additional tool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now