Talk

Advanced search

Public School Bursaries

(6 Posts)
MerryM Mon 08-Oct-12 10:51:50

My DS got a conditional place to Eton in September 2013 with a bursary. I am considering applying for a larger bursary and am worried if the application will jeopardise his conditional offer as I read on mumsnet that they consider candidates on the waiting list with less financial need? I might be completely wrong.

I am just scared to make the request but really would like to.

happygardening Mon 08-Oct-12 11:08:35

I'm assuming your "conditional place" is on the condition that your DS does well enough at CE. Therefore if you wish to reapply for a larger bursary then I can't see that you will loose the place but obviously you may not get a larger bursary and then you may decide not to send you DS!

MerryM Mon 08-Oct-12 11:16:09

Yes the conditional place is on the condition that he will pass the CE. His prep school have informed me that he will not sit the CE but will sit the Kings scholarship exam

BobbiFleckmann Mon 08-Oct-12 11:23:02

they're a charity and a very wealthy one. They generate significant income from their assets, which includes vast swathes of Primrose Hill / Belsize Park. They have to spend that money to retain charitable status. I would be very surprised if a conditional offer was retracted on the basis of a request for greater funding. Someone has to get those bursaries.

happygardening Mon 08-Oct-12 11:28:44

I understand from their website that most bursaries for non scholars are capped at 50% although the implication is that bursaries of more than this might be available. The general advise from all on MN is talk to the bursary dept.

MerryM Mon 08-Oct-12 11:35:02

Yes I think I have to brave it and talk to the bursary dept

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now