Talk

Advanced search

Tutor for the Kent test

(15 Posts)
WinterStepThisWay Sat 06-Oct-12 17:37:29

Hi. I was wondering if anybody may be able to recommend a tutor for the Kent test. I've only just moved to the area and I'm finding it virtually impossible to get first hand information from the other mums at school. Thank you!

Toughasoldboots Sat 06-Oct-12 17:57:20

You won't get anything from the other mums, Guantanamo bay wouldn't get that info out of them.
Try 11plus forum and someone might send you a private message.

WinterStepThisWay Sun 07-Oct-12 10:11:11

Good morning toughasoldboots, you're so right! smile. Unfortunately the 11plus forum hasn't come up with anything either sad.

DoIDare Sun 07-Oct-12 10:13:14

A lot of people I know opted for tutor groups - maybe that would be a starting point?

Toughasoldboots Sun 07-Oct-12 12:14:05

I agree, you might be better off using a group. Private schools quite often have good contacts if your dc are in that sector.
Otherwise try the bond books at home until you get somewhere. I know that stonewall of silence, exactly what I faced when my first dc did the test.
One mother even told me that the tutor I mentioned had moved house- she hadn't, but I fell for it.

It's an absolutely horrible situation.

WinterStepThisWay Sun 07-Oct-12 18:53:18

Hi there. We're not in the private sector at all. I guess I'll start with the bond books and hope that I'll find out about a tutor at some pint.

maresedotes Sun 07-Oct-12 18:57:39

You may not need a tutor. Try the practice papers and also ask the teacher whether they think your dc could pass the test (ours said it depended on year end levels). No parent ever admits to having a tutor!

talkingnonsense Sun 07-Oct-12 19:00:14

I can pm you a reccommendation if you are in west Kent?

WinterStepThisWay Sun 07-Oct-12 19:01:42

Ooh yes please talkingnonsense! Thank you

breadandbutterfly Sun 07-Oct-12 20:34:01

YOU DO NOT NEED A TUTOR.

Really. smile You can do it yourself. Bond books are a great start. Try the 11+ forum for more specific advice.

WinterStepThisWay Sun 07-Oct-12 20:41:44

Breadandbutterfly no, I cannot do it myself. I wasn't educated in the UK and English is not my first language. I want a tutor for my DS.

wineoclocktimeyet Sun 07-Oct-12 20:43:05

I can pm you someone in N Kent. I really dont understand this not passing on details crap - if you're than paranoid, your DC probably isnt good enough!

WinterStepThisWay Sun 07-Oct-12 21:14:51

Wineoclocktimeyet, yes please, I'd appreciate that. Thank you.

DoIDare Mon 08-Oct-12 07:17:52

I agree you cannot always do it yourself. Even the tutors I know, have someone else tutor their child. Some can, I am sure, but can lead to awful clashes.

breadandbutterfly Mon 08-Oct-12 12:17:15

No, I'd agree that if English is not your first language then you probably could benefit from a tutor, but for any other parent, you can cope with 11 year old maths and VR just fine. Really. Don't forget there is whole v lucrative industry around telling you can't do it alone and you ned this product and that tutor - it's just not true. The flames are fanned by competitive, neurotic parent and one-upmanship - it really isn't true.

I found tutoring my own dd v beneficial to our relationship - and I'd challenge anyone who have a stroppier child! Actually, the miore challenging your child is the more beneficial it is to have that quality one-one time with them - it can work magic on your relationship with them as well as their academics. No tutor knows your dc like you do.

Do it yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now