Talk

Advanced search

Bursary parent advice please

(4 Posts)
lisad123 Fri 05-Oct-12 22:52:34

Dd1 has started her new school on quite a high bursary. I gave up work when the dx Dd2 with autism and dh was dx with cancer. Now things are a bit more settled I spread my time between a trustee for a charity, a co ordination for a autism support group and work one day a week with teenagers who are pregnant/ had babies.
Now dd2 has started reception I'm tempted to return to work which would earn between 13-20k a year.
They review bursary applications every year.

Has anyone lost their funding after starting? I'm aware they may well change it and I don't mind a small amount but I'm so worried they would take it all away.
Any advice?

MaddestMother Sat 06-Oct-12 07:13:53

I don't have a bursary myself but know a few people who do. From what you're saying, I doubt those earnings would make much difference when reviewing your bursary. The school must want your DD there so aren't looking to make life difficult for you.
How is your DH? Sounds like you've got a lot to deal with at the moment!

fuckwittery Sat 06-Oct-12 07:16:16

Can you ask the school how they have assessed your bursary and ask what difference that would make?

crazycarol Sat 06-Oct-12 22:37:21

We got a bursary for dd. For her first year it was about 50%. We couldn't have afforded it if we didn't get it. However we knew it would come to an end as when she started secondary school I increased my hours at work and hence my income by about £10K (to cover school fees!). We managed to keep the bursary at that level for the second year due to the way the school does its calculation. However for the third year we had thought that we wouldn't get anything as that was the year that my increase would be taken into account, but we were lucky to be offered 20%. This year is our 5th year of a bursary and it has stayed the same (I am a public servant who has had a pay freeze!).

For anyone interested in the peculiarities of the calculation. For the next academic year 2013-14 forms are starting to be completed over the next few months and are based on the actual income of the last complete financial year ie 2011-12.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now