Talk

Advanced search

I am setting up some new drama and musical theatre clubs and would like your opinions regarding timings

(18 Posts)
Silence Tue 02-Oct-12 20:58:32

I have two thoughts the first would mean the clubs would all be on the same day
Drama Club
Age 7 – 10 Tuesday 4.15 – 5.30pm
Musical theatre Club
Age 7 – 10 Tuesday 5.30 – 6.30pm
Drama Club
Age 11+ Tuesday 6 - 7:30pm
Musical theatre club
Age 11+ Tuesday 7.30 – 9pm

The second would mean splitting them between two days

Which would mean

Drama Club
Age 7 – 10 Tuesday 4.15 – 5.30pm
Drama Club
Age 11+ Tuesday 6 - 7:30pm
Adults 8 - 9
Musical theatre Club
Age 7 – 10 Thursday 4.15 – 5.30pm
Musical theatre club
Age 11+ Thursday 6 - 7.30
Adults 8 - 9

Opinions please?
I am not sure if 730 - 9 is too late?
Is 4.15 too early?
Many thanks in advance

Silence Tue 02-Oct-12 21:46:36

Bump

1805 Tue 02-Oct-12 22:01:35

Well, for me, 4.15 is too early a start after school. My dc don't finish until 4.10pm.

From the above list, I would choose one club (musical theatre) on tuesday 5.30.

Depends on the schools near you and what time they finish. Good luck.

SorrelForbes Tue 02-Oct-12 22:08:52

Spreading the classes over two days could possibly mean more people would be available to attend.

Are the classes being taught by different people? The teachers may have a preference about the minimum/maximum of hours they feel they can do in one evening.

Silence Tue 02-Oct-12 22:12:21

Yes teachers are different

If it is on different days I can start later I guess

senua Tue 02-Oct-12 22:19:43

What does 'musical theatre' mean? You are not having them belt out songs from the shows at the tender age of 7, are you?

Where are these clubs being held? If not on the school site, how would working parents be able to get their LO to the early starts.

Surely option 1 is a non-starter from your POV. Five hours non-stop!shock Also, if you have any children doing both classes then it is a long back-to-back lesson for them too.

senua Tue 02-Oct-12 22:32:14

apols for thex-post. My internet is being mega slow tonight.

Silence Wed 03-Oct-12 08:35:06

I want to encourage as many to come as possible so looking for the best option for the kids rather than me.

I don't encourage 'belting' at any age [WINK

DeWe Wed 03-Oct-12 09:36:10

Personally I would prefer having them on one evening. Because having 3dc, you end up going backwards and forward so much, that not having to do so is nice.

I think you'd need to ask those doing both classes to bring a drink and a snack (or provide one) though.

I think musical theatre is more dancing (jazz/tap) to musical numbers.

Both my dd's (age 8 and 11) would love those, and wouldn't have problems with the length, they like a length of a lesson to really get into it... only they already do singing on Tuesdays.

TheOneWithTheHair Wed 03-Oct-12 09:40:26

Personally I would prefer them to be on the same day. Dd does drama already and would love to go straight on to a musical theatre class. It would be easier to arrange if I only had to do one drop off and pick up.

I also think it's wonderful to combine the two. Good luck with it op. smile

Silence Wed 03-Oct-12 09:54:41

Thank you very much - that is really useful to know
it seems same night is the best way.

and starting a bit later

Silence Wed 03-Oct-12 10:04:53

Drama Club
Age 7 – 10 Tuesday 4.45 – 5.45pm
Musical theatre Club
Age 7 – 10 Tuesday 5.45 – 6.45pm
Drama Club
Age 11+ Tuesday 6.30 - 8pm
Musical theatre club
Age 11+ Tuesday 8 – 9pm

WED: Adults one week MT and the next DC 8 - 9

That might work?

Musical theatre will be dancing and also singing taught by professional singing teacher who works with young people

DeWe Wed 03-Oct-12 12:13:10

You've got DC 5.45-6.45
and then MT 6.30-8. Did you want them to overlap?

Other than that, that would suit my girls who are both at the younger end of the age groups.

Silence Wed 03-Oct-12 12:48:21

DeWe I don't mind them overlapping as I wil not be teaching all of it and I need to fit them in at times good for others.

PiggyBankMum Wed 03-Oct-12 17:55:52

How much would they cost? If my dc wanted to do both classes I would prefer them to be on the same night, but they would have to be very different in what they taught for it to be worth 2 lots of subs. And depending on cost I might not be able to afford 2 anyway.

If my dc only wanted to do one class I would prefer to be able to choose which night was more convenient or possible. I might not be able to do the travel on the only night it was on.

Ther should be more of these classes available. Some of the big national chains which offer them are very expensive. We can't afford Stagecoach, and I prefer something more cultural.

Silence Wed 03-Oct-12 20:44:35

Piggybank
i think we offer something different from what others offer - we are all about the child and nurturing the child as they grow, We understand that most children we teach will not become famous performers but will be able to use our techniques in many differnt ways to help with confidence as well as encouraging understanding of literature.

If children choose to do both classes there will be a discount

we work all over the country - at Easter we are running Shakespeare workshops for all ages (4 +) in Yorkshire, Lancashire, Nottinghamshire, Somerset and Avon.

PiggyBankMum Thu 04-Oct-12 00:04:49

It sounds brilliant.
Can you link? Is that allowed?

I think a discount for 2 classes would be good.

Silence Thu 04-Oct-12 09:24:44

I have sent you a private message.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now