Talk

Advanced search

Reception assessments - England and Wales difference?

(3 Posts)
Cat98 Thu 27-Sep-12 17:36:21

Hi, I posted before about the Welsh baseline assessment for reception children and I have now found the grid. But looking at the age ranges specified it seems to require more from the children in Wales than the one used in England - am I reading them right? Links below (the welsh link is very comprehensive) but I'm sure I read somewhere that a level 7 on the English one would be considered advanced. Looking at the Welsh one it seems that the achievements in level 5 are considered average for reception children (age 4-5)? But in the English one some of these achievements would be considered advanced? I'm confused why there is such a difference (I'm looking particularly at the numbers category).

Thanks
Links below
dera.ioe.ac.uk/3642/1/110517foundassessmenten.pdf

cw.routledge.com/textbooks/9780415485586/data/EarlyYearsFoundationStage-AssessmentScales.pdf

Cat98 Thu 27-Sep-12 19:12:50

Also another question (as its kind of related I thought I'd add it onto this thread!)
Do they make allowances for summer borns when assessing? eg would they expect more of a Sept born in reception generally? And at what stage does the age difference start becoming less of an issue? (it seems a lifetime when you have almost 5 year olds with just 4 year olds!)

mrz Thu 27-Sep-12 19:50:28

Do they make allowances for summer borns when assessing No

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now