Talk

Advanced search

What age did you stop listening to your child read?

(17 Posts)
lisad123 Mon 24-Sep-12 15:54:44

Dd1 is a great reader and is in year five.
She started a new school and they have chosen a book for her she didn't really understand (she has Asd so doesn't "get" abstract thinking ect). I have emailed her teacher to explain this and had an email back, very polite but saying that I should be writing in her reading record too.
She writes in it what page she is upto, but I trust her to read to herself and often find her in her bed reading.
Now to me having to read to a parent feels very "homework" but the joy of losing yourself in a book is wonderful and a completely different thing.
So now I have to sit and Listen to her read and comment in her book.
We do read together, but just not structured reading.
What age did you stop listening to or reading to your kids?

vodkaanddietirnbru Mon 24-Sep-12 16:09:22

dd is nearly 9 (P5) and I dont listen to her read any more

holmessweetholmes Mon 24-Sep-12 16:14:14

I have just stopped hearing dd read and she is only in Year 3. She is a very good and fast reader for her age and finds it really frustrating to read aloud. Even though she loves reading, I found it hard to get her to read her school reading book to me last year. To my big relief, her new teacher says she can take in her home reading book and doesn't need to read aloud to me. Phew!

PrimrosePath Mon 24-Sep-12 16:24:27

Dd is in year 4 and we are still expected to hear her read, even if it's only for a few minutes three or four times a week.

She tends to read a page to me then as much as she wants to herself. The next time she'll tell me what I've missed, read a page to me. This way she is getting practice reading aloud and I can check that she is understanding the story.

lisad123 Mon 24-Sep-12 16:47:42

That's a good idea primrosepath, I guess I remember being that age and developing my look of books, I also even as an adult find author I like and stick to it, don't see why dd1 shouldn't. hmm

Bonsoir Mon 24-Sep-12 18:14:11

DD is in Year 4 and yes, we still listen to her read quite often. She does reading comprehension homework twice a week and she always reads the passage (which can be quite long) aloud to us. I also get her to read from her reading books to me from time to time. But school is definitely not checking that we do listen to her read at home.

breward Mon 24-Sep-12 18:54:56

I still share a book with both DD aged 12 and DS aged 10 each evening. Some of the books we read are challenging- The Breadwinner (like a teenage version of A Thousand Splendid Suns) and need to be discussed, as a 12 year old would not naturally understand Afghan culture and traditions. My DS and I have just finished 'Street Child', again asylums and the workhouse were discussed. We take it in turn to read aloud so I am hearing them read and enjoying a good book/quality time with the kids. I know it won't last so I'm enjoying it whilst they are both still keen.

washedup Mon 24-Sep-12 20:25:32

everything breward said.

redskyatnight Tue 25-Sep-12 08:27:27

DS is Y4 and we are still expected (part of school homework) to listen to him read regularly. I find it a PITA but I can see there are benefits from doing it.

piggywigwig Tue 25-Sep-12 10:33:27

DD2's in YR 6 and still reads to me because she likes to. I can't abide the reading diary mallarkey because for her, it takes away the sheer pleasure of reading. Oh, the battles we've had with the school over it and she's a voracious reader with Level 5a at the end of YR5 so there's no worries at all about reading and comprehending. I do sort of understand the rationale behind it, but what a dreadful chore.

piggywigwig Tue 25-Sep-12 10:34:59

oops, I should have clarified that writing in the diary is a dreadful chore. The reading bit, we both love.

maillotjaune Tue 25-Sep-12 10:53:38

DS1 just started Y5 and school still expects 15 mins reading to an adult 5 times a week, so actually up from Y4 (4 x 10 mins).

With able readers they suggest listening to last few minutes of a read then discussion to help with the comprehension. Think it's very important to keep up - DS still can't pronounce / understand everything and that is almost more of a problem with able readers who tend to read books suitable for their reading ability that are a stretch in terms of their understanding of the world.

ByTheWay1 Tue 25-Sep-12 11:02:23

mine are 10 and 11 and will still read a page or 2 to me - the trick is to find books that they want to "share" - we find the fact books like "Do igloos have loos?" particularly make them want to read aloud, to share some funny or astounding fact with the rest of the family.....

When they are reading in the evening, winding down before bed, I sometimes ask them to read a page aloud as it is a good skill to have and it does help correct pronunciation of names and places etc...

adeucalione Tue 25-Sep-12 11:11:29

I stopped listening to DC read when they moved on to secondary school.

Before that, they would have an 'easy' book that they could read independently and a more challenging book that we read together - often I would read a few pages to them and they would then read a few pages to me.

I enjoyed it actually, and despite the fact that they are both very good readers, there was often a word or concept that needed explaining, and just being able to discuss the plot or make a prediction over breakfast seemed to really bring them on.

They only had to record the title and page number in their school reading diaries though, so it never became a chore.

piggywigwig Tue 25-Sep-12 11:45:01

adeucalione "They only had to record the title and page number in their school reading diaries though, so it never became a chore. "

If only our diaries were that simple smile

Almondroca Tue 25-Sep-12 11:52:21

We are similar to adeucalione. Ds1 is in yr 5 and we are reading a book together that we read at bedtime - he reads out loud for 10 mins or so and then I read for another 10 mins ish. It's a lovely calm time of the evening and we both enjoy it. I don't have plans to stop reading with him.

He also has a guided reading book from school and he reads that to himself without my involvement.

Elibean Wed 26-Sep-12 11:44:02

dd1 is in Y4, and has to read aloud to me for 10 mins every night - after not having to last year. Initially we both found it a chore, but I have to say I think its a great thing now.....she tends to skip over words she doesn't understand if reading alone, whereas I can spot them (she sounds them out perfectly so a teacher might not realize!) and ask if she's understood. She's enjoying having me involved, now, after initial resistance.

Some evenings she reads to herself, others she reads anything she likes - an article from the papers, a magazine article, a cookery book. But probably 4/7 evenings she reads from her book.

Signing the actual record takes all of 3 seconds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now