Talk

Advanced search

Governors - do you listen to parents views?

(12 Posts)
maillotjaune Sat 22-Sep-12 21:24:31

The title isn't a suggestion that you don't! I would just like to get an idea of how much attention might be paid to parents writing to school governing body.

I don't want to say too much in case the school is recognised, but it involves views about an acting head (positive views, in fact extremely positive).

Although the school has improved hugely since she started the role there are rumours that one influential governor has different ideas so I know of several parents planning to put their views forward so gov bodies have wider input.

I wondered if they would discuss parent support / views in their meetings. Would they be obliged to if letters were sent to the Chair, via the clerk, so were "official" if you like?

Hassled Sat 22-Sep-12 21:30:32

I think if a letter was sent to the Governing Body, via the Clerk and Chair, then the letter would be shared at a meeting. That would certainly be good practice - although I can't ever remember seeing anything that says parental/community letters have to be read/discussed in a GB meeting.

Probably best to write to each and every governor as well, though; if for any reason the letter isn't shared then at least the parent voice will still have hit a target.

rumtumtugger Sat 22-Sep-12 21:32:06

What Hassled said.

rumtumtugger Sat 22-Sep-12 21:35:31

Actually - if you can find out who the parent governors are then maybe target them - as they're supposed to present the viewpoint of this group of stakeholders.

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 22-Sep-12 21:36:21

We had a head at the governors i was a member of who was a little too controlling of the governors, with hindsight, things were on her agenda or they didn't get discussed/ raised.

I second sending the letter/ an email? To as many governors as you can get contact details for.

maillotjaune Sat 22-Sep-12 22:02:12

Marvellous, I do know who all the parent governors are and one is a friend so contacting them isn't a problem.

[flowers] for such quick answers too!

franticallyjugglinglife Sat 22-Sep-12 22:31:01

It is a standing agenda item at our GB, and would definitely be covered at our FGB meet. I would send to chair, cc the clerk. The GB would be managing the HT performance and would more than likely be directly involved in that. And the clerk is a statutory position and would have an obligation to ensure it was brought to the attention of all governors if you ask for that to happen in your letter.

neolara Sat 22-Sep-12 22:35:08

Parent governors aren't representatives of the parents of the school, they are simply governors who are parents.

Elibean Sat 22-Sep-12 23:14:32

Ours would, definitely. But I know, from Governor CPD courses, that not all Governing Bodies are the same...

DanFmDorking Sun 23-Sep-12 00:28:36

Yes, pleeeeease do write to the Chair of Govs, c/o the Clerk to the Governing Body at the school.

It’s all too easy to complain and criticise, the school will get loads of that but getting a letter that tells of something positive, something going really well, is a welcome fillip for the staff.

Also, please ensure that any of the parents who agree with you to write in as well.

maillotjaune Sun 23-Sep-12 12:55:38

Dan I know a few parents already have - some more have said they don't know what to write and might start a petition but my gut feel is that lots of individual letters probably have more impact. I think a couple of parents have been asking everyone they know to consider writing.

Even if it doesn't influence their ultimate decision, at least the acting head and her team will know they have this support. And I honestly think it is the view of the vast majority of parents rather than just the vocal minority.

Thanks again everyone for your replies.

crazymum53 Sun 23-Sep-12 13:44:35

As a former Clerk to Governors, I would say that usually Correspondence should be an item on the Agenda and that would include both letters from the parents and others such as the LEA. It tends to be used for items that have come up very recently or urgently that are not covered elsewhere on the Agenda.
If any letters concern a person who would be present at the meeting (Heads do tend to be there) then they should be asked to leave the room whilst this item is discussed.
Many governors decisions are however discussed in smaller committees who report back to the main meeting. This may come under Staffing for example, but this may vary for different schools.
So in conclusion, parents views are considered but sometimes governing bodies aren't very good at writing back to parents or acknowledging their views are taken into consideration.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now