Advanced search

No offers for ds

(45 Posts)
vivat Tue 21-Feb-12 13:20:01

My ds has had no offers from the four private schools we applied for (despite passing the Latymer exam he didn't get offered a place). Am now in a complete panic - would rather he went to state school but we are in a black spot and unlikely to get any of the four (over subscribed) state schools we applied for. Have been looking at prep schools to do 13+ but it seems that most of the big London day schools have closed their entries for 13+ entry in 2014 already !! Can anyone guide me on options ? We really can't afford £10k per term boarding fees. We are in West London. thanks

HillyWallaby Tue 21-Feb-12 13:22:24

Move? what do you mean 'black spot'?

If you move to an area with a good community school I beleive that providing you are in catchment they are obliged to take him.

HillyWallaby Tue 21-Feb-12 13:22:43


vivat Tue 21-Feb-12 13:26:34

Moving isn't really an option given where we both work and also how expensive it is. We may get a place at our No. 1 state school but we are in the band where children are selected by lottery. My back up plan was private but am feeling very exposed now that has gone.

jeee Tue 21-Feb-12 13:29:32

Wait until March 1 to panic - you can't do anything until then.

Scoobyblue Tue 21-Feb-12 14:09:35

As jeee says, wait until March 1 for the state school results - you might be pleasantly surprised.

If you don't get one of the state schools which you want, then you will need to wait until the private school deadline for acceptance of places and then phone around to see if any schools will let your ds take a late exam for a place for 11+ or 13+. Also, I would see if the head at your ds's current school has any contacts with private schools or prep schools and whether they can help to put the case on your ds's behalf.

Good luck.

Azure Tue 21-Feb-12 14:50:37

I'm in the same area and am waiting to hear from one last school (plus state), but am gearing myself up for the same result as you. It's so depressing. You obviously have a bright DS to get an interview at Latymer (mine didn't get that far), but everything seems so unbelievably competitive. No advise, only sympathy.

carltonscroop Tue 21-Feb-12 15:09:43

Vivat: I am so sorry, thus must be gut-wrenching for you and DS.

I do hope you get an acceptable state school offer.

But for further plan Bs:

a) when you say "13+" prep entry, I assume you mean 11+ to stay to 13 for a private school transfer then? You're in west London, but in what direction do you commute, and have you exhausted all possibilities along routes with good transport?

b) 13+ secondary entry: not all schools pretest in year 6, nor have all lists closed. Can you reach Dulwich? Both Alleyns and Dulwich College run their own (non CE) entrance exams, and do not close lists until the autumn before year of proposed entry. There may be others that do not pretest (Harrodian?) or which have year 7 pretesting. You may decide you need a tutor if you are in the state sector for years 7&8.

c) if you stay in touch with Latymer (and the others, if you have grounds for thinking you were a near miss) you can make sure they know you would take an ad hoc place at short notice, should a pupil leave. The worst they can do us say no (you need not tell DS you are trying this one, so it's only your feelings on the line). I'd wait a bit before trying this one, so you don't give an inadvertent impression you are in denial and trying to override the normal offers procedure.

Good luck, and I do hope something suitable turns up.

OlympicEater Tue 21-Feb-12 15:14:26

You may find that once state school places are allocated that a lot of people drop out of their back up private school places, which will free up a place for your DS.

Equally you may drop lucky in the school lottery for your local great school

johnwithers Tue 21-Feb-12 15:28:55

What about new land house, twickenham prep or Newton prep

Latymer have a 13+ entry as well so perhaps if your DS was close but not close enough they might let him have another try at 13+

Otherwise schools like the John Lyon and St Benedicts require later registration.

Merchant Taylors in Northwood requires registration at least a year in advance (so by June 2013 for Sept 2014) for 13+ and is a very good school

banditqueen Tue 21-Feb-12 17:12:36

No helpful advice here but we are in the same position as azure - in West London, waiting to hear from last school, on the waiting list of another... Bracing myself for plan B (which I am yet to develop!)

milkshake3 Tue 21-Feb-12 17:55:37

vivat I have PM'd you!

Chestnutx3 Tue 21-Feb-12 19:02:35

If you do want state school I would move. Can't you both commute to work, would be cheaper than school fees? There are so many excellent secondary schools which are commutable to London and the west London options are dire.

Alternative is a prep school for 13+ entry but with so many London schools doing pre-tests the options are limited.

We moved out of London as the competition for secondary at private schools is getting hellish and I didn't want to put my kids throuhg 6+ entrance exams to ensure they got a school.

Good luck.

vivat Wed 22-Feb-12 08:18:31

thanks everyone for the support and guidance. Off to see our first prep school this morning.... and maybe the estate agent !

EdithWeston Wed 22-Feb-12 08:32:27

As I'm sure you realise, the advice to move out probably won't work at this stage. It's so close to offers day now - and I really hope one of your acceptable schools turns up for you.

If you moved, you would be looking for a school with a place available outside the normal round. As you can't apply until you have a new address, it's a tricky thing to co-ordinate. And as outstanding schools tend to be full, with waiting lists, you may not be able to secure better than a slot near the top of the waiting list of the acceptable schools at destination, plus the LEA allocated slot which will be at any school with a vacancy.

glenmore Wed 22-Feb-12 08:36:52

Prep school until 13 really the best option - look for the one's that are co-ed as the girls tend to leave at 11 and therefore lots of spaces come up which the schools are able to offer to boys. A good prep school will help you choose the right secondary school and will have relationships with the secondary schools. This seems to be a really important part of the 13+ entry.

happygardening Wed 22-Feb-12 09:47:38

Would you consider/be able to pay for boarding? Fees for prep approx. £21 000 PA fees for senior £33 000 PA but as your DS passed the Latymer exam he must be bright so you could try for a scholarship into a senior school (often limited financial reward) and you could apply for a bursary. If you were thinking of a scholarship you would need to be in a prep school I doubt you would get one from a state school. Boarding preps will almost definitely have vacancies and barring the most selective senior schools which will be in the process of selecting now for 13+ entry you will have plenty of choice.

Colleger Wed 22-Feb-12 10:04:20

There are 11+ places available at Durston House and Orley Farm. Where do you live exactly?

blush I should have mentioned DH as an option given that my sons go there!

stillfeel18inside Wed 22-Feb-12 10:27:18

Not sure where you are in West London, but what about Reed's (Cobham), Halliford (Shepperton), St James (Ashford, Surrey), Ewell Castle, Claremont Fan (Esher), Radnor House (Twickenham - it's new). I would ring round those if any of them appeal.

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Wed 22-Feb-12 10:36:58

Fulham Prep takes on boys for 13+. It really depends which area you're in

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Wed 22-Feb-12 10:39:58

Agree with others that come March 1st and afterwards) there will be a churn on the waiting lists with children accepting state offers - also, there will be children with several offers from the schools you applied to who whose parents have not yet rejected the places they don't want - when is the deadline to accept for the schools you tried for? At the point parents have to pay a hefty deposit, there will be places freed up.
Worth keep reminding the schools you are interested in that you are still interested - and that have your pen poised over your chequebook grin.
Last year, a friend who intended her child to go to a state school changed her mind when the places were allocated on March 1st, and apporached St James's AFTER the places had supposedly been allocated - they did a swift test and was offered a place.
A few years back, another friend only decided AFTER her son's friends had taken the Hampton exam that they wanted to try him for it - she was very persistent, and the school tested the boy, and offered him a place, and a whacking great scholarship grin
It is a completely moveable feast, and fortune favours the pushy brave, so please don't feel the best are all off... the real bunfight begins now.

Colleger Wed 22-Feb-12 11:24:57

Chaz!!! grin

KandyBarr Wed 22-Feb-12 13:24:06

Was Emanuel one of your privates? It's easy to get to from Kensington Olympia, and I know they've taken DCs at a late stage in the past. It's a good school but not perceived as being as prestigious as the Dulwich schools, so lots of people apply as backup then don't take up their place.

Good luck - it's stressful, but the more calls you put in now the more places might open up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now