Talk

Advanced search

Would you move house for better schools?

(59 Posts)
ChocolatEtVin Wed 04-Jan-12 17:23:47

We're strongly considering moving house to an area with better secondary schools and I was just wondering if anyone had done it? We're in London and being in an area with good schools is of high importance as, if your local schools isn't good you don't stand much of a chance getting in anywhere else! Has anyone who moved for this reason regretted it? Would anyone else do so?

silverfrog Wed 04-Jan-12 17:27:51

I am in a slightly different position, but have moved 3 times now for school purposes.

It was less of a choice for us, as we needed to be within commutable distance of a decent school for dd1 (who has severe ASD, and needs a SN school), and for the same reason ahd to get out of the county we were living in at the time, as the SN provision was hopeless, and they were messing about with dd1's Statement etc.

whilst I would do it again without hesitation (having schooling sorted is a major thing, imo), it has been very difficult for us. but then, as I said we have moved 3 times in as many years.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 04-Jan-12 17:29:46

Depends how many kids and what the price difference was in housing.

Chances are the new house will be more money, plus stamp duty, legal fees, etstate agent fees, etc. It may cost less to go private.

ChocolatEtVin Wed 04-Jan-12 17:34:38

The thing is we have 5 DCs, live in an area with either good girls schools, one good coed which we actually have a chance of getting into (but in reality wouldn't) and no good boys schools. The problem is though that we have four DSs! The other insentive to move is the riots, which really did unsettle our DCs.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 04-Jan-12 17:35:29

Ah, in that case yes I'd probably move.

MerryMarigold Wed 04-Jan-12 17:38:05

chocolat, I have the same dilemma. I love where I live and I like our house, but...secondary schools are a big problem. People actually move 5 mins away to get into the catchment of the one that has less gangs and knives (but it is about a third more expensive than where we are). I don't know what to do...luckily ds1 is only Y1. Let us know what you decide.

IndigoBell Wed 04-Jan-12 17:40:07

I'd def move for schools.

ChocolatEtVin Wed 04-Jan-12 17:45:16

I think a couple of years ago I wouldn't have even though about moving as the DCs are at a lovely primary school and I used to love the area. However, as I said above, the riots really did scare us as and know our oldest two are starting to gain more independence I'm not sure how safe our area is.

Cinquefoil Wed 04-Jan-12 17:49:27

We would, yes. Also in London. Perhaps my view would be different if I lived in a place where something like "community life" had a greater hold.

ChocolatEtVin Wed 04-Jan-12 18:05:49

I suppose the other question is where would you move to?

Colleger Wed 04-Jan-12 18:23:15

Loads of people move out of London to send their kids to better schools or just for a better life. Totally normal imo.

happyAvocado Wed 04-Jan-12 18:25:15

we did, for Grammar schools, now both are in them (each in different one, ds and dd), I considered that my priority

Colleger Wed 04-Jan-12 18:25:36

If your kids are bright and will get into grammar school then I'd move to Kent or Bucks. If they're not then I'd move to a non-grammar area as the comps tend to be better. Hertfordshire?

ChocolatEtVin Wed 04-Jan-12 18:29:11

We want to stay in London but don't like the idea of hothousing for grammars. Our main problem seems to be that most boroughs have one or two good schools with tiny catchments and, if you don't get into them, then you are left with a poor school.

upatdawn Wed 04-Jan-12 19:05:15

We're very lucky in living somewhere with very good schools (in the city there are two ofsted outstanding, one satisfactory and the rest good) and they all achieve above good results and aren't horrendously over subscribed. However if that wasn't the case I would definitely move.

Colleger Wed 04-Jan-12 19:07:24

I love London but I've just moved to a South Herts village within the M25 and it's really great. I didn't want to leave London but I'm happier here than I was in London and I didn't think that was possible.

ChocolatEtVin Wed 04-Jan-12 19:18:22

I couldn't image going straight from London to a village, that must have been a shock!

exoticfruits Wed 04-Jan-12 19:27:30

Yes-I would and did. Schools come top in a decision on where to live.

Choclatespread Wed 04-Jan-12 19:33:31

I was also thinking about that. I need a good boys Secondary, but like you said where would you move, most areas only have good Grammer schools.
If you find the right area, pls do let me know.

tallulah Wed 04-Jan-12 19:34:23

It's a gamble. What if you spend a lot of money moving house only to find that your DC doesn't get into the school you want? You'd have to be very very close to the school and even then there are no guarantees.

We would and did. No regrets.

ChocolatEtVin Wed 04-Jan-12 19:48:59

Choclatespread, I have a friend who's boy goes to Fortismere in Muswell Hill which is where I would love the DC to go to but the area is so cripplingly expensive it would probably be cheaper to go private!

Choclatespread Wed 04-Jan-12 20:07:25

Yeh, nice area, but so expensive.

ChocolatEtVin Wed 04-Jan-12 20:20:51

Sadly I think the real issue is finding somewhere affordable with good schools and preferably without many siblings!

WoodRose Wed 04-Jan-12 20:31:19

Bounds Green/Muswell Hill borders are cheaper than the area around Fortismere. The catchment school is Alexandra Park which is Ofsted outstanding and is the school of choice for a growing number of Muswell Hillbillies. Alexandra Park and Fortismere have recently been inspected by Ofsted and both received glowing reviews. APS was graded outstanding in 24 out of 27 categories, including quality of teaching. Perhaps more significantly, parents rave about it and the children really seem to enjoy going to school. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now