Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Religious Primary School

(9 Posts)
Ally43 Tue 18-Oct-11 14:26:21

Our daughter has just been accepted into an 'outstanding' OFSTED primary school. It is a Church of England school, and although both myself and my husband attended COE schools, we are not religious people. Not a problem, or so we thought, it's just that they have 30 minutes a day of worship, that seemed pretty excessive to me, is that normal?
I know we can request that she doesn't attend the worship, but would rather not single her out.
She could stay where she is, but then in a couple of years we would have issues with secondary schools. The school seemed nice, but I can't get this 30 minutes of worship a day out of my head.

Iwantacampervan Tue 18-Oct-11 14:52:18

All state schools should be having an assembly every day - it is called a collective act of worship but usually is talking/sharing etc. They are often timetabled for 30 minutes - even in non CofE /RC schools. Have you asked what the 30 minutes each day consists of as you may find it's not what you are thinking of as worship.
If it is a CofE school do they have services in the local church, visits from the vicar etc. would you be happy with that ? Our village primary does this and it's not a CofE school.

TalkinPeace2 Tue 18-Oct-11 16:58:01

chill out
they sing happy songs and play with each others shoe laces mostly
by year 6 most have grown out of the god stuff unless its being reinforced at home

Blu Tue 18-Oct-11 18:12:59

Personally I find the requirement for all state schools to have collective Christian worship every day iniquitous (even if widely flouted grin) but presumably with an outstanding ofsted the school is over subscribed? And you visited before you applied? So by and large you are happy? Had you opted for an alternative community school you may well have found that the 'collective worship' consisted of singiing 'The World's greates', Bob Marley's 3 little birdies, and other feelgoood numbers with no religion involved at all. But you can't expect a CoE school not to do thier duty under the National Curriculum.

It will be OK. I am an atheist, but I'm glad I know all the hymns I know, can recite the odd psalm, am literate with bible stories and refernces (which are crucial for wider cultural kowledge) and am a bit sad that DS hasn't a clue.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 18-Oct-11 18:19:54

30 mins every day sounds somewhat on the high side of normal, but not way out of whack.

Ask if you can go for a visit during the day and see what its like - it may be ok or it might cross the line (whereever you happen to draw it)

cricketballs Tue 18-Oct-11 19:47:36

before anyone else says it - why apply to a church school if you are not happy with any religious aspect that it may do? If you are truly opposed to religious content during the school day, then don't apply to a faith school

by the way; every school has to have an official collective worship within its school day, most get around this through assemblies/form times etc.

Ally43 Tue 18-Oct-11 20:07:12

The only option was a church school, so no choice, except not to go.
I'm not truly opposed to it per se, but 30 mins a day seems somewhat excessive in my book. As GrimmaTheNome has suggested, I will pop past, and see for myself. Blu, what's wrong with 3 little birdies grin

TalkinPeace2 Tue 18-Oct-11 20:26:58

cricket
in much of the country, c of e schools are what there is at primary
your choice is between controlled and aided

mummytime Tue 18-Oct-11 22:24:04

Well my DCS assembly lasts 30 mins. On Monday and one other day it involves singing, then some kind of drama/presentation by a couple of teachers, maybe some notices, another sing and leave. The drama tends to be funny and educational, with at least one of the two a vaguely moral bit. So one might be a mad scientist and their apprentice for a term, the other about the some one who keeps getting things wrong (selfish etc.). One of the others is done in class and the kids think about an discuss an issue, eg. forgiveness. One is lead by the head who sums up the week, hands out awards, and might give a little moral speech. The final one is done in year groups (usually, occasionally its houses instead) and does have a bit of a moral aspect, but also year or house news.

The real Christian bit though is done during the rest of the day, and does depend on the teacher.
The only time it is 30 minutes worship, is actually 1 hour once a term when they go to the Parish Church for a service. (Or Harvest festival, kind of).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now