Talk

Advanced search

Teachers - Performance Management question for you.

(22 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Tue 11-Oct-11 18:02:02

I teach part time (0.5685 or something). At my last school I was given 2 PM targets a year (full-timers had 3). Last year I moved schools and my HOD insisted on giving me 3 MASSIVE targets, which I have completed. I have my review tomorrow and I feel a bit more confident to push the issue this year. Does anyone know if I am supposed to have 2 or 3 targets? Can I insist on it? (She's a bit scary and hasn't had a part-timer in the Dept. before!)

TIA smile

KatAndKit Tue 11-Oct-11 18:07:33

I think you should have the same number of targets as full timers, in my experience the three targets covered three different areas of professional development. For example, one target I had was about pupils results, the other was about contribution to the departmental team and taking responsibility for a certain area, and the third was a pastoral target.

IHeartKingThistle Tue 11-Oct-11 18:37:27

Yep, one of ours definitely has to be related to pupil progress. I don't have any pastoral responsibilities though (which is why I'm not 0.6!). Hmm, maybe my last school were just being nice...

PotteringAlong Tue 11-Oct-11 18:40:44

I would also say 3 targets - in my department I set (with them!) one based on teaching and learning, one based on cpd and then another one.

I don't think the number of targets change if you're part time, but the targets themselves should be relevant to who you teach and your own professional development

IHeartKingThistle Tue 11-Oct-11 18:46:23

This is what ATL says:

It would not be appropriate for a part-time teacher to have the same
number and weight of targets as a full-time teacher with comparable
experience and responsibilities. Your targets should be decided
through discussion between you and your reviewer, taking into account
the time you spend in school and what is achievable, challenging and
measurable.

But if the school sets their own PM policy and it isn't dictated then I suppose I have to go along with that. Perhaps I could try to get the targets made more achievable (the ones that were set last year mostly had to be done in school which meant I ended up paying out extra in childcare).

jetgirl Tue 11-Oct-11 18:50:59

I have 3 targets and I'm 0.6. I have met all 3 this year and have a further 3 set for next year. They each have a different focus: subject development for a specific group of pupils (I have gone for EAL) pupil progress in a KS 3 class and a KS4 class.

IHeartKingThistle Tue 11-Oct-11 18:52:26

OK, I guess I'm not going in all guns blazing then!

Thanks for the responses smile

KatAndKit Tue 11-Oct-11 19:09:06

I think obviously your three targets should be realistic given your working hours. Pupil progress should be the same for everyone but a target based on you making a specific contribution or carrying out a specific role needs to take into account your part time status.

noblegiraffe Tue 11-Oct-11 20:35:43

You got given your targets? I'm 0.6 and have three targets, but I basically turn up to the meeting and say what I want them to be. Pupil progress has to be one, but I get to pick the class.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Tue 11-Oct-11 20:53:00

I am 3 days and have 2. 1 always has to be pupil progress, the other is open to discussion. Have you asked your union?

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Tue 11-Oct-11 20:54:18

Whilst we are all here!
Did you move up the leadership scale or UPS scale when you returned from maternity leave?

Appuskidu Tue 11-Oct-11 21:02:55

I'm two days and have 2 targets. One is pupil progress and the other is something we choose for our own professional development.

IHeartKingThistle Tue 11-Oct-11 21:49:30

Ooh, responses! Well, yes, I did sort of get given my targets. My HOD is, shall we say, very determined and focused on what she wants. Also I was new and didn't want to look like a slacker. She gave me one CPD target(move from Good to Outstanding), one which was to identify and mentor an group of underachieving students in Year 8, ensuring they reach their minimum grade (which is what I had to pay for extra childcare in order to do) and 1 which was to rewrite an entire SOW for KS3 AND KS4 (I managed to get her to agree to just the KS3 one in the end). All quite interesting, but a huge amount of work relative to my hours and salary.

I don't mean to whinge, sorry! I am UPS1 marypoppins, I went through threshold at my last school after my first maternity leave.

I really will do it happily if it turns out that it's the right number of targets. I'm not being a slacker!

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Tue 11-Oct-11 21:58:43

Sounds like loads of work!

noblegiraffe Tue 11-Oct-11 22:12:43

OMG that's a huge amount of work. Even one of those targets would be challenging enough.

For comparison, my targets last year were 'meet FFTs for my Y11 class (on average)', 'make some resources' and 'improve my use of group work in the classroom' - 1 observation. I'm on M6.

I'd have kicked up a stink about the one requiring extra childcare. That's not on!

Grockle Tue 11-Oct-11 22:18:00

I work part time (80%) and have 3 targets, like everyone else: One school one and 2 personal.

None have to be related to pupil progress anymore but I will put a CPD one (because its the only way I'll get any training)

IHeartKingThistle Tue 11-Oct-11 22:30:50

I'm glad other people think that's a lot! On top of all the usual stuff it's been a nightmare getting it all done. Problem is, no-one else in the Dept has children and it's been a real battle to prove myself, so I can't start complaining about workload.

And blush I'm not in a union anymore. I think I might need to get that sorted...

noblegiraffe Tue 11-Oct-11 22:34:46

Definitely get yourself in a union. Especially as a part-timer you need to make sure that you aren't being treated unfairly or having unreasonable demands made of you compared to full-timers.

I'd say sign up before your review meeting if possible. I'm not sure you can join a union retrospectively to sort an issue. Don't sign off any targets unless you're completely happy with them.

IHeartKingThistle Tue 11-Oct-11 22:38:42

That's great advice, thank you.

PotteringAlong Wed 12-Oct-11 22:23:21

Mary P - in answer to your question; I'm off on maternity leave at half term (not that I'm now counting down the days; oh no grin) and am hoping to go through threshold next year. Have met my pm targets for thus year but have been allowed to set pm targets for the next cycle that only involve me doing stuff from
Sept - oct half term, ie when I'm in school. Because I have 2 consecutive pm cycles now the head says I will still be able to go through threshold when I return.

doglover Fri 14-Oct-11 10:07:04

2 days and 2 PM targets here.

IHeartKingThistle Fri 14-Oct-11 19:18:19

Well I ended up with 3 again - I am a wuss! I did point out that I had had to pay for extra childcare last year and we have agreed targets which are more doable around my hours. They're still massive though; I think it's just the way the school is. It's a bit relentless tbh.

For example, this year the HT has decided the Department will achieve 90% A*-C. Based on nothing. And has set the target accordingly.

<rolls up sleeves>
<falls asleep>

Thanks for all your advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now