Talk

Advanced search

What would you think about your PTA if this happened?

(24 Posts)
RhinoKey Wed 05-Oct-11 13:37:11

I am a member of the PTA at our primary school.

The secretary, treasurer and Chairwoman all have children in KS1, none in KS2 yet.

Every single thing that the PTA have agreed funding for in the last 9 months has been for the infants, everything that we suggest for KS2 gets vetoed.

The infants have had a subsidised trip, subsidised pantomime trip, KS1 disco and new play equipment for the infant playground.

It was suggested that we should do the same for the for the juniors pantomime but this was refused by vote (all three main parties voted no).

It feels like they are favouring the infants which feels wrong. I a not the only one who has noticed, but what can be done?

GrimmaTheNome Wed 05-Oct-11 13:40:01

Are the PTA meetings open to all parents and teachers? (I would hope so). Does everyone get a vote? (I would hope so)

If so, then you need to encourage KS2 parents to attend.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Wed 05-Oct-11 13:48:35

TBH I probably wouldn't notice - but I would not be at all happy if it were brought to my attention. Don't you have to submit a set of accounts at the end of the year? Surely it would show up then? I'd suggest that the funding be more evenly distributed and then put it to the vote - and as Grimma says I would hope that the teachers and other parents who attend would support that votes.

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 05-Oct-11 13:51:34

I am not sure exactly how it works but it in our school there is a mechanism in place to ensure that pta-raised money is distributed fairly across all three key stages. Those of you have noticed in the inequities just need to be very brave and raise it as an Agenda issue at the next meeting.

ragged Wed 05-Oct-11 13:59:03

Disco discrepancy & targetted subsidies sounds utterly pants.
A lot of playground equipment part depends on need, though, who actually needed new equipment?
How was the funding found by school otherwise (for junior panto etc.)? Did KS1 get better playground equipment or cheaper (to parents) panto/disco?
How can you have some equipment which is ONLY KS1?
Am not a huge fan of our PTA but they would not obviously do all that. Everything is funded across the school groups.

RhinoKey Wed 05-Oct-11 14:08:55

KS1 got playground equipment, KS2 didnt
KS1 had a Disco, KS2 didnt.
KS1 parents pay £9 for their Panto, KS2 will pay £11 (it is a different pantomime but the costings were the same).

Snowsquonk Wed 05-Oct-11 14:34:16

What is the head teacher saying/doing - surely they have to agree with how the money raised is being spent, and it should be to benefit ALL the children.

Quiet word with the head - worried how it will look to other parents that it's only KS1 children who are benefitting (just in case it's a year thing - one year KS1, next year KS2)

Or just be brave and raise it..."I've had several parents voice their concerns..." - so it's not YOU, you're simply the messenger.

margerykemp Wed 05-Oct-11 14:36:41

That's shocking- why is the head allowing this?

meditrina Wed 05-Oct-11 14:42:18

I'd be unhappy about trips/events etc for only some children in the school, and get unhappier each time it was repeated. (No gripes about equipment, as that would benefit successive years of classes).

I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to tackle it! The point I'd want to raise (and have minutes, if formal) is that there have now been XX events for KS1 and there should now be a moratorium on KS1 events until KS2 have benefitted from the same number. So if Ks2 events were voted down because for some reason they didn't think it was the right thing, that can continue - but more and acceptable ones must be devised.

paddypoopants Wed 05-Oct-11 14:44:19

You need to bring it up at the next meeting and have all the facts at your fingertips- so " A few people have mentioned a perceived discrepancy in funding projects between ks1 and ks2. I have looked into it and it does seem blah blah blah- figures, numbers etc. With any luck this will pull them up short without you having to accuse them of anything.

PatriciaHolm Wed 05-Oct-11 14:50:08

Get the Head involved if necessary, ask her to make some suggestions as to how she would like the money spent; are they likely to veto her suggestions? Definitely bring it as an AOB to the next meeting.
(I'm a PTA chair and would be horrified if we were thought to be doing this, and it has indeed be raised in the past pre my time I believe, and it was all sorted amicably by asking the Head to make some KS2 suggestions)

RustyBear Wed 05-Oct-11 14:52:03

We have a joint PTA for the linked infant and junior schools, and money is given to the schools to spend pro rata according to the number of pupils, so the junior always gets a bit more than the infants.

Your KS1 parents should realise that their children will benefit from money spent at the junior school in a year or so (at least if it's spent on equipment rather than trips)

Unless of course they are planning to move their children to private schools when they are 7 or 8....

GooseyLoosey Wed 05-Oct-11 15:00:01

I think I would mention it to the Head - he or she should not be allowing this. I would not be happy either but there is no way on God's earth this would happen in our school.

Acinonyx Wed 05-Oct-11 19:37:37

I'm also surprised the Head hasn't intervened - nothing gets done by our PSA without the approval of the Head.

forrestgump Wed 05-Oct-11 21:17:40

Things similar have happened in Our youngests primary school. A few mums got together to try and sort it, but to Be honest, we 3 years in, are tired of criticism and battles. My eldest have now Left, and I am just biding my time until our youngest goes. I have decided to help out where needed but leave the rest to the PTA!

The head is as bad, they will self destruct soon.

marriedinwhite Mon 10-Oct-11 22:49:49

Perhaps the PTA needs some KS2 parents to become active rather than expecting the KS1 parents to do all the fund raising for the open hands of inactive parents.

jade80 Mon 10-Oct-11 22:52:04

I would think it sounds like ks2 parents need to get off their arses and volunteer. It's only natural the active pta members will be more interested in things that affect their kids. After all, most probably got involved for the most part for their child's benefit, no?

crazymum53 Wed 12-Oct-11 14:01:25

The money should be distributed evenly between the year groups. This happens at my child's primary school and the committee members all have children in KS2!
As well as the main officers, the PTA does also have a nominated representative from each year group though so maybe that helps.
If fund raising is needed for a particular class or year group they are expected to do some fund-raising themselves and this is then "matched" by the PTA.

crazymum53 Wed 12-Oct-11 14:03:08

Need to add that all members present at the meeting should get a vote - not just the 3 committee officers. One member, one vote !

mumeeee Wed 12-Oct-11 19:09:23

When my DD's were at primary school the PTA meetings were open to every parent. All money a raised. and events organised had to be shared between the infants and juniors. There was a pantomime trip but this was for the whole school. Also the head was part of the PTA. I would go to the head and ask them to intervene..

midnightexpress Wed 12-Oct-11 19:16:35

I kind of agree that more of the KS2 parents need to get involved if they want things to change. However I think it's probably fairly common for PTAs to be weighted towards parents of children in the KS1 part of the school (ours certainly is) - I imagine there's a fair amount of 'burnout' if it tends to be the same parents doing all of the volunteering.

I definitely think the head should be doing something about it though - does she go to meetings? We would never dream of having a disco for just the KS1 pupils.

hocuspontas Wed 12-Oct-11 19:21:08

Agree with others. The PTA raise money. They don't spend it! They may like to be included in discussions but the money should be handed over to the school to be spent how they see fit. Alternatively, there might be something that is decided in advance and then the PTA raise money for that. But it is still the HT's decision. Certainly here, anyway.

FearTricksPotter Wed 12-Oct-11 19:29:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Downnotout Wed 12-Oct-11 22:09:52

As ex-chair of our parents association ( we don't have a PTA- independent school) this would never have happened.

The funds we raised were for the benefit of ALL children in the school.

We made a decision to fund projects or capital equipment that would benefit the whole school. And naturally, as children move up the school they will benefit from items directed at the KS2 children.

The school agreed to match us £ for £ on certain projects (I know if yours is a state school this won't apply) but we provided half the interactive whiteboards so that every classroom had one, outside furniture for the playground ( benches and picnic tables), and at Christmas asked each form teacher for a "most wanted" list to directly benefit children in every form. This ranged from a digital camera, to educational games, but with a set budget and the proviso that they could be used year on year.

Definitely speak to the head to voice your concerns. Maybe suggest that you send a letter out to parents asking what they would like to see the money spent on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now